cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS stopped working

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Like so many others, my MMS just stopped working all of a sudden. Changing the APN settings and contacting CS agents did nothing to fix the issue. I have the OnePlus 7 Pro, and it's a 2019 phone. Dropping support for a 2019 is ridiculous...

34 REPLIES 34

Consumeralex
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey everybody,

One is problem DO NOT leave spase in rows:

Example:

You must write sp.mb.com  NOT  sp. mb. com

And don't forget APN type: default,ia,mms,supl,fota,hipri      - NO gaps

https://apn.how/ca/public-mobile/xiaomi-redmi-note-8-pro

raebee

Thank you for these settings. They worked for my OnePlus 9 Pro (which should definitely NOT be anywhere near end of life!)

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
MMSC proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca  **On my phone this setting is MMS proxy, not MMSC
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220

APNtype: default,mms

huahaha

Try setting the APN field: sp.mb.com to SP.MB.COM.

This worked for me. I have the same phone.

Nni

Thank you so much! This works with my phone!

Sjones5354

I have been trying to fix this for hours!! I was about to give up and tried 

yow613
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On a OnePlus 7 pro it does make a difference. It's not supposed to but it does. Been without MMS for a few weeks now, changing the APN to uppercase fixed it on my 7 pro. 

G_Pomzz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

yow613

Just wanted to let everyone know that replacing APN with SP.MB.COM (yes, upper case letters) all other settings as PM lists worked on my OnePlus 7 pro. I changed APN, turned on airplane mode, then turned it off and sent a MMS picture. Why uppercase works, no clue.

Upper or lower case shouldn't make any difference. Mine is in lower. 

Screenshot_2024-03-18-23-24-29-141_com.android.settings-edit.jpg

yow613

Just wanted to let everyone know that replacing APN with SP.MB.COM (yes, upper case letters) all other settings as PM lists worked on my OnePlus 7 pro. I changed APN, turned on airplane mode, then turned it off and sent a MMS picture. Why uppercase works, no clue. 

G_Pomzz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This happened to me with my POCO X4Pro. I found conflicting values for the new APN settings, so ended up trying at least twice before I got it right.

Make sure you reboot your phone after saving the APN new settings. If you want to try the APN settings I'm using I can send them to you by DM. 

JackAttack420

Thanks, worked on OnePlus 10T

esaad86

Thanks, this worked for me on my OnePlus 7T

cb12345667

If it helps anyone else I was able to solve this! 

I have had this issue for the last 2 weeks. I have a Oneplus Nord N200, and the steps didn't work on the first few tries. I had to delete/reset the APN 5 times before it randomly worked. On the last delete, it set the APN to "sp.telus.com", i switched it back to "sp.mb.com" & sent my self and MMS and it finally worked: 

MMSC proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca

APNtype: default,mms

CrestFallenPhil

Worked with a Poco F5 and Remi note 8 Pro

yow613

did these settings work for you on a oneplus phone? specifically a oneplus 7 pro. 

thanks

MollyAsmussen

Thank you. This worked for me

CrestFallenPhil

Very disappointed in Public/Telus. This solution worked for us.

I seem to think this change is all about the APN. Check for these settings in your APN.

Name: whatever you want
MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
APN type: default,mms,dun
APN enable/disable: APN enabled - probably on anyway and greyed out
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D

Save, then select to use, then go in and out of airplane mode

Franklyn

Legacy mms dates back to 2014 or earlier. That a 2019 phone uses the old technology is a bit surprising but not entirely unexpected. My device is 10 years old. That TELUS no longer supports it on their network in 2024 is unsuprising. Unfortunately, it wil cost me at least $600 to get a new equivalent device that TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile can support.

Franklyn

It is not going to help to switch to TELUS or Koodo. TELUS is the network owner for Public Mobile, Koodo, and Public Mobile. TELUS is the one that has removed legacy MMS server support at the start of February 2024. Their actions have affected Public Mobile and Koodo. Hence why people on all three carriers with older devices can no longer send photos as part of their texts, or participate in group texts with multiple friends, etc.  TELUS announced previously that they were doing this. https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/multimedia-messaging-browsing-services-update The workaround here is to get a supported device, or to leave for another carrier on a different network. Chances are quite high though that Bell will also do this if they haven't already done it. Bell and TELUS has the same network technology in many cases. Unfortunately, TELUS doesn't want to support 2014 technology in 2024.

CalvinW

It's just a major inconvenience, since my OnePlus 7 Pro is my business phone. I can tell existing customers not to send MMS, but I can't possibly inform new customers that. I don't want to bother explaining to all my customers why Public Mobile has lousy MMS support. Keeping my personal phone with PM is fine but I guess it's time to switch carriers for my work phone. Public Mobile being a lower tier carrier makes sense now, reminds me of Wind Mobile back in the day.

sorry @CalvinW 

not sure why.  But it is not unusual not all brands have the same support.   Seem like the new server does not work well with OnePlus.   But why change carrier, there are other ways to send pictures.

CalvinW

After numerous back and forth between CS Agents and then subsequently forwarded to the technical department, their conclusion is "Network doesn't support your phone, please upgrade your phone". For context, I use a OnePlus 7 Pro, a 2019 phone. If they are dropping support for 5 year old phones, what's the point of upgrading? They will just drop support for my new phone in 5 years. Better to just upgrade my carrier instead... 

Alishad

I used this settings and it worked!

MMSC proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

charanth1822

Freedom works? Sounds like I may be moving there... Thank you @CalvinW

charanth1822

OnePlus 8 Pro too.. that's a year newer.

CMason1985

Hi CalvinW,

I have the new OnePlus 12 and have the same issue you have.  I have been playing around with the settings and got it to work.  I checked with a family member who has the 8T with the same issue and this made it work for them too.  I'm not sure what exactly made it work again but here are the steps...

1. In the mobile settings for you SIM slot for PM, just before you go to the APN select, make sure your SIM phone number has a "+" in front of your phone number.  Not sure how important this part is, but I'm recreating what I did to make it work.

2. Go into the APN selection screen and it the 3 dots in the top right corner and hit reset access points.  Then go into your APN and confirm that the details are correct as stated in PMs updated details.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

3. Reboot or just turn on airplane mode and off again.

Seems to work again for me.

Hope this helps.

hi @Phil_Adelphus I don't think that MMS compatibility list means anything.  MMS is just a basic service that will work ask long as the phone is compatible. Right now the issue is just about older models phone as legacy MMS server retiring.  If MMS really only works on phones on that list and no more, I think Telus would loss a quarter of the subscribers.  The list is pretty much just a recommendation for bigger brands for easy support

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@CalvinW  PM doesn't list any One Plus in their MMS compatible list

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/picture-messaging-updates 

Having said that, there are complaints on other carrier forums about that particular phone not getting MMS including on the OnePlus community.  Interestingly one person fixed it by enabling "auto download MMS while roaming".   I seem to recall someone else doing that here in the Public Mobile community but I don't remember if it was the exact same problem.  Might be worth a try.

hi @CalvinW for some reason, OnePlus phone got hit hard with this MMS server issue.  If you decide to move carrier, and considering Telus or Koodo, make sure you test a sim from a friend first

Admittedly so, @CalvinW , they have an obligation to determine whether it's a device-related issue or a system issue.

I believe it does have to do with their changes.

And if that's the case, and they do not have a workaround for you, I can certainly understand you wanting to jump ship.

Need Help? Let's chat.