cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS and iPhone 8

____
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

MMS (group messaging with Android devices) stopped working on my iPhone 8 with PublicMobile, is there a way to make it work again? 

22 REPLIES 22

____

I know. But I actually sent the agent that list and the agent confirmed to me that “the list was old” and the phone was “100%” not functionable…

Gary_Ontario
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks. 

@Gary_Ontario   The phone in question is on the compatible list for MMS so the first agent made a mistake.  Is your phone on the compatible list?  Scroll down the linked page for the list

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/picture-messaging-updates 

Gary_Ontario
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Got the same “buy a new phone” response. I read a Telus website post saying they were upgrading and too bad if you have an older phone. Telus is PM which is Koodo. So what gives that another agent can make it work?

____

Not sure why the first agent told me to buy a new phone, and the second agent knew exactly what was wrong, said “let me do something on the backend”, and then said, go to “now go try it”, and it worked.

HI @____ 

glad it is something fixable  🙂

____

I opened a new ticket with a different agent - that person did some “changes on the back end” to my account —- all working now!

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Phil_Adelphus Hard to tell. When VoLTE came out you had to be on the latest version to get it to work, even earlier versions of iOS 16 was not enough. Now that I think of it, I probably should have suggested to make sure the phone is fully up-to-date.  For iPhone 8 that would be version 16.7.6. 

@hTideGnow   @golfball  I would be surprised if it is excluded, especially since there are probably people with newer iPhones that are still on ios16 because apparently uptake of ios17 has been relatively slow.

HI @Phil_Adelphus @golfball 

but iphone 8 was released on 2017, it shouldn't be impacted

I think we need to wait for more confirmation to see if all using iphone 8 are having MMS issues or just selected 

@golfball   If that's the case then they should remove the iPhone 8 (ios16) from their MMS compatible list.

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Considering the fact that it broke I think it's possible the agent is correct. Public Mobile usually drops support for anything other than the latest iOS when making a cutoff point, which is currently iOS 17.
iOS 16 was the cutoff point they used when they introduced VoLTE last year and may be where the list is copied from.

@____    Based on Public Mobile's own published list, not it is not accurate, iPhone 8 with ios16 is on the list.  Refer him/her to

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/picture-messaging-updates 

____

Hi. Thanks @Phil_Adelphus Yes I have. All checked, MMS enabled and cellular data ON. 

PM support agent said:

— The list of compatible iphones was before the legacy was turned OFF on Feb 14, I wish I could tell you that your iPhone will work, but it is not going to ever work anymore on our network for MSS, you’ll need to get a newer iPhone. —

Is what the agent said accurate??

HI @____ 

it is compatible for sure

did you update your Carrier profile as well as Reset network settings?

@____   iPhone 8 is on the compatible list as long as updated to ios16.  Have you checked in iMessage to see if Send and Receive have the right check marks, and that MMS is still enabled and also cellular data must be on?

____

Where is the “list of phones” indicated in the article?  Thanks. 

____

Have native app. What about iPhone to Android & iPhone (group). Does that wor?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If you use native app for SMS/MMS it should work. 3rd party might have an issue.
I just tested, Android to Android works perfectly. DATA has to be on for MMS.

____

Before I do that more drastic step, does anyone know if it’s just that the iPhone 8  model isn’t compatible anymore with public mobile’s MMS service?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@____  Some have had success reseting there network settings . Give it a try see if that helps 

Need Help? Let's chat.