cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucky Mobile just increased their 3G plans to 10Mbs from 3Mbs.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Lucky Mobile just increased their 3G plans to 10Mbs from 3Mbs.

Any word if PM will follow. Or even better,  just do away with any 3G branding and just have all plans at same speed. Seems so irrelevant these days. 

26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't use any of my bonus usage up because the speeds are so slow. Give me an incentive to upgrade my plan!

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think we will have 10mbps soon. hard to believe they don't follow

I will say, probably within 30 days, you will be celebrating 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Hey, if they want to increase from 3Mbps to 10Mbps for all their "3G Speed" plans then that's great. More is better. I won't argue against upgrades.

As long as they don't also increase the price. More is not better if it's something you basically never use.

Kristowhy

@smp99 wrote:

But many people don't know what they need and look at 3G plans (3mbs)  vs LTE plans (100mbs) and think I have to get LTE. The cost of increasing the speed of 3G plans has to cost nothing other than the initial coding changes. It's all marketing. Telus might make more money by increasing these plans to 10mbs as some may run out of data quicker and then move up in plans. 

Now - the talk of Lucky giving an addition 750MB data bonus after 1 yr on the $15 plan - that is something and I need to investigate further

You are right, it's just marketing with the ultimate goal of attracting as many customers as possible and then push them up to higher tier/paid plans.  I'm sure you have notice many post paid offerings have super low promo prices with double digit GB/month?  They want bottom payers to move up, nor do they want tier 3 offerings performing better than their tier 1.

Yes, you are right in that 3Mbps is more than enough for a good chunk of the user base, but there is more than just speeds at play here.  All the carriers are using throttling management and caching mechanism which in turn affect the overall performance you see/feel.  I recently moved a device onto the "3G" tier and now I find that basic web browsing performance has just tanked, with some sites requiring 45+ seconds or more of doing nothing despite refreshing etc.  Switching to WiFi instantly resolves this.  This device never had these issues prior to this "3G" plan.  What's interesting though is that speed tests (using the ookla app) consistently show in the 1.9 -2.9Mbps range up and downstream.  I suspect that Telus' caching engines are the culprit here with http/https traffic.

I may testdrive Lucky for a month over the summer to see how their "3G" data speeds and traffic management/caching behave.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth I agree with your assessment that many people need very little data. I really only need 3GB/month and could get away with 2GB if they continue to float free data add-ons at Christmas. In addition, I could get away with the 3G speed of the lower plans. But many people don't know what they need and look at 3G plans (3mbs)  vs LTE plans (100mbs) and think I have to get LTE. The cost of increasing the speed of 3G plans has to cost nothing other than the initial coding changes. It's all marketing. Telus might make more money by increasing these plans to 10mbs as some may run out of data quicker and then move up in plans. 

Now - the talk of Lucky giving an addition 750MB data bonus after 1 yr on the $15 plan - that is something and I need to investigate further

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@smp99 wrote:

Any word if PM will follow. Or even better,  just do away with any 3G branding and just have all plans at same speed. Seems so irrelevant these days. 

No word here.

But changing from 3Mbps to 10Mbps or to "4G Speed" is indeed certainly very relevant to me if it increases the cost of my plan.

You might find this unbelievable ... but there are still a lot of people who hardly use and don't really need mobile data. Let alone fast mobile data. Maybe we're dinosaurs or maybe we just live in a different world where a phone is a phone and internet is done on real computers, I dunno, but whatever the case we are not interested in paying a premium to get the best mobile data.

@hTideGnow wrote:

@will13am wrote:

The local rag had a piece today about Telus doing some cost cutting today.  So, I think this topic might be on the back burner for a while.

@will13am   oh no.  But it is competition.  Both Lucky and Chatr are doing it, and they will be losing customers

This product has always been niche with the rewards.  Anyway, the door is wide open, are you going anywhere?  

HI @sheytoon   I guess I remember wrong then.  

thanks

@will13am wrote:

The local rag had a piece today about Telus doing some cost cutting today.  So, I think this topic might be on the back burner for a while.

@will13am   oh no.  But it is competition.  Both Lucky and Chatr are doing it, and they will be losing customers

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@hTideGnow really, did I say that? I don't remember. There shouldn't be any technical reason, they can pick any number they want.

HI @sheytoon   I remember you once said the 3Mbps was not a random number carrier picked, it has some technical reason.  So, is 10Mbps the next step up with that technical contraint?

Any chance we can get a higher number like 12 or so? (yes, I don't think PM will give us too high the number) LoL

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Sweet, 10 Mbps is more than enough for everything. This would be amazing if PM follows the competition.

Hi @sandalwood and Chatr has it (64kbps) for a year or two too.  So, I think PM is standing firm for not offering that.  I think our rewards is what make PM different from them and PM thinks it is enough, no need to match.  Now, just hope PM will follow this time,  increase speed to 10Mbps

Hi @sandalwood 

Yes Lucky has that since 2019.  It was so long, I doubt PM will follow .  But 128kbps is just a bit better than none.  More for checking email and not much use 

sandalwood
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does that mean if your on Lucky's $15 plan and you go over the 250mb in the plan you still get data at 128kbs up and down like Kristowhy posted from Lucky's FAQ's page ? If so I hope Public is considering this upgrade like Lucky did for their customers.

Kristowhy

@will13am wrote:

A competitive response is definitely required here.  Alas the sweetness of low price might get in the way.  

Absolutely!  While VoLTE and US roaming are nice to have (but still not fully working here!), mobile data and IP based comm. apps have become the norm and having a faster data stream is now more desirable than legacy telephony.  PM bumping up to 10Mbps is definitely needed.  Hope we get it.

hi @Kristowhy wow 150Mbps for 4G plan, better than our 100Mbps.  But of course, not sure if 8t can really reach 150

Kristowhy

@esjliv wrote:

@smp99 haven't noticed any announcements or changed plans listed, so until then, don't know. 

It's currently hidden in the fine print as of May 9th.  Scroll down and expand "additional information"

https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid

luckymobile.jpg

Hi @sandalwood I am not sure about the 1GB for $15.  There would meant $25 and $30 will all have to have more data. But of course, I would be happy to see this.

sandalwood
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Your right Chatr has been 10mbs for a while now, There is a post on RFD regarding Lucky increasing to 10mbs from 3. Also it looks like Lucky silently increased after a year of service, you then get bumped another 750mb a month to a full 1gb according to a post on RFD. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lucky-mobile-3g-speeds-boosted-10-mbps-instead-3-mbps-2618925/ fingers crossed Public does the same !!

HI @DennyCrane   i think they are still keeping the super cheap plan with reduced speed for corporate image (they offer budget plan for those who can't afford)

I think we will see the same for couple years, until they have super 5G plans (as the premium plans) and then 4G plans as the dirt cheap one, but probably.. 5 years?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Interesting I would have thought they'd be pushing everyone to 4G plans, and this won't help that for the low data users. 10 Mbps is ample for most everyday users.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

A competitive response is definitely required here.  Alas the sweetness of low price might get in the way.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@smp99 haven't noticed any announcements or changed plans listed, so until then, don't know. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@smp99 

I think Chatr already increased to 10

So, I guess it is PM's turn now!!

Need Help? Let's chat.