cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost VoLTE after network refresh

Random_Moss
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a 2 year old Umidigi Bison Pro that while it is not on the Telus Whitelist for VoLTE, IMS was provisioned back in March 2023 and worked completely fine with all calls routing though 4G.
While troubleshooting another issue I had CS do a network reset on their end, when then immediately caused the IMS to drop its registration so now VoLTE no longer functions. They escalated it to technical support, but its been weeks with no changes or word. All calls still drop to 3G. I've factory reset and re-checked APN settings as well.

Anyone else have an issue like this and did you get it resolved? I don't think there is anything more I can do at the moment other than pinging CS again or just waiting.

9 REPLIES 9

Thanks for the feedback

Random_Moss

Thanks for giving me something to try, however upon checking the IMS APN was already there. I did change the protocol setting to IPv4/IPv6 as it was only set on IPv6 however it hasn't made any difference (so far at least.)

@hTideGnow no specific way of disabling that I'm aware of.

@Random_Moss wrote:

I have a 2 year old Umidigi Bison Pro that while it is not on the Telus Whitelist for VoLTE, IMS was provisioned back in March 2023 and worked completely fine with all calls routing though 4G.
While troubleshooting another issue I had CS do a network reset on their end, when then immediately caused the IMS to drop its registration so now VoLTE no longer functions. They escalated it to technical support, but its been weeks with no changes or word. All calls still drop to 3G. I've factory reset and re-checked APN settings as well.

Anyone else have an issue like this and did you get it resolved? I don't think there is anything more I can do at the moment other than pinging CS again or just waiting.

There have been some cases of some devices that work previously workig on VoLTE at Public Mobile have that ability revoked. A network refresh at the Public Mobile side of things wouldn't disable VoLTE at the account level. Currenly, all accounts have VoLTE enabled.  I do suspect what has happened was that the system re-checked allowed devices upon account reprovisioning.  Stopping the blocking of devices from using VoLTE is something that Public Mobile needs to work on.

HI @sheytoon 

thanks for sharing that hack to enable VoLTE via APN

on the other hand, is there similar hack to disable VoLTE?  someone asked this earlier, want to disable VoLTE but the toggle button is hidden

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Random_Moss it's a longshot, but can you try adding an extra APN with only the following info:

Name = ims

APN = ims

APN type = ims

APN protocol = IPv4/IPv6

Save it and then see if it made any difference. Don't worry if the new APN disappears immediately after creation, it should still be getting used in the background.

Random_Moss

Yes, It's not supported as far as the whitelist is concerned, and no, there's probably not much PM can do on their side.
That being said from March-December 2023 I did have VoLTE working on PM on this device, so I know it will work providing if the system gets around to enabling it again. Eventually I'll just replace that phone with something a little more mainstream with less headaches.
Due to the phaseout of 3G I agree hopefully the system gets a little more flexible.

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If your phone is not supported there's probably not much they can do. Hopefully they will expand the whitelist before the 3G shutdown.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Random_Moss   On the question of anyone else having an issue like this, yes I did have something similar but not with Public Mobile.  I had VoLTE enabled and the icon showing at the top of the screen of my then Android phone for, I think, 2 years then suddenly one day it disappeared.  Customer support could not figure out how to fix it after several tries.  The line was still provisioned for VoLTE.  The manufacturer said it was a carrier issue because the phone was capable.  I still had the VoLTE setting enabled but VoLTE didn't function.  Customer service did try adding the phone's IMEI to their whitelist but that didn't help either.  I sympathize, it was very frustrating!  

Need Help? Let's chat.