Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Phone

mint_cheesecake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

My phone seems to have slipped out of my pocket today 😞

The Toronto Police apparently don't take reports for lost phones and say "please contact your service provider."  How/who do I contact?  Has anyone ever gotten a phone back with the help of Public Mobile?

And second, assuming I have to get a new phone -- if I buy a new Public Mobile SIM card, can I somehow transfer over the phone number I had?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@mint_cheesecake 

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Might be returned in the future if somebody nice returns the phone. PM probably can't help you find the phone.  You could try yourself.  iPhones have a lost phone feature.  Even try calling the phone to see if anybody answers.  If unable to find phone, then you should report your phone lost/stolen in the self service account. That would inactive the plan for now.

You can purchase a new SIM card and a new Phone and change the SIM card in your self service account so you can keep the same number. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@mint_cheesecake 

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Might be returned in the future if somebody nice returns the phone. PM probably can't help you find the phone.  You could try yourself.  iPhones have a lost phone feature.  Even try calling the phone to see if anybody answers.  If unable to find phone, then you should report your phone lost/stolen in the self service account. That would inactive the plan for now.

You can purchase a new SIM card and a new Phone and change the SIM card in your self service account so you can keep the same number. 

View solution in original post

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@mint_cheesecake  Public Mobile is bring your own device. So they can't help you for a lost phone. Unless you bought a certified phone from PM (they just started selling phones again) or a really old phone from them when they used to sell phones.

Log into your account and click plans and addons. Then click lost/stolen and mark it as as such. It simply blocks the sim card from being used.

Androids and iPhones have Find my phone, find my device. You should use that to see if your can locate your phone.

If you buy a new sim card DO NOT ACTIVATE IT. Log into your account a click "Change sim card" (green arrow on picture below) your account info will be attached to new sim card. After removing lost/stolen. Simply put new sim in a new phone and you're good to go.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@mint_cheesecake 

Log into self service and report your phone lost/stolen. You can purchase a new SIM card and in self service choose Change Sim Card.

mint_cheesecake

Hi thanks for your response!

It's an Android (Moto G5) and I tried Google's "Locate My Device," but it said it could not locate phone. Any idea why?

I seem to think that service has to be kinda pre-configured. Or that the GPS has to be on. But I've never lost a phone. I'll set mine up now. 🙂

@mint_cheesecake  if it says could not locate device. 

Means the person that found it probably turned the phone off. Or you did not have location turned on. If no password they could have turned location off as well.

Most likely they simply turned the phone off. That's what untrustworthy people usually do. 

Sorry for your loss.

You may have the options. To send a message to the phone, make it ring. If not you likely have the option to wipe the phone next time it's turned on.

ashleyskye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hope you logged into self serve and reported the SIM as lost or stolen.

Hello @mint_cheesecake ,

@mint_cheesecake wrote:

Hi thanks for your response!

It's an Android (Moto G5) and I tried Google's "Locate My Device," but it said it could not locate phone. Any idea why?

This could also mean the Data is disabled on the device.

mint_cheesecake

The police keep telling me to report it to Public Mobile as they do not take reports - but there is no way to do that other than by "Suspend Service"?

Need Help? Let's chat.