cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing bonus data/minutes when upgrading?

BikerRay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When upgrading, it says "After changing your plan, you will lose your current promotion." I know I keep loyalty savings, etc., but do I lose the Xmas give-aways of international minutes and data? I have a fair amount and wouldn't want to lose them.

7 REPLIES 7

Like I said, it's not falling in the trap, it's needs.

I'm fine with the limited plan. I have two in a dual-sim phone. I use one as a data account. When I run out (which is not very often) I switch to the data account. It's extremely rare if I send 100 texts. Then there's MMS and TextNow. The spouse just doesn't want to do the fiddling with MMS and TextNow. I'm fine with all that.

If the $3 forced plan change bumped up minutes or text then I would have been mostly fine with that. But not the company. They want to coerce customers to move up to the $15 plan thereby getting 50% more money (before rewards) from their customers from what they had before.

@dust2dust   you can't even convince your wife not to fall into Telus' trap?  LoL

What I see is that , if the $10 (now $13) plan is constantly just enough  and require lots of effort to restrict the usage so you don't get over the limit, the the $2 increase would likely be worth it.  :

This was the intended purpose of the company. To suck people out of the old grandfathered minimum plan. One could look the other way when the price was $10. But now for a 50% increase in payout (before rewards) or about 15% with the forced more expensive plan change one can perhaps justify the plan change to the more expensive plan. It gets harder to justify when you factor in all the rewards. With maximum loyalty and autopay and no referrals or community the $10 plan will have been $3. Totally doable. The $13 plan will have been double that at $6 (100% increase). The $15 plan comes to $8. So from paying an easily manageable $3 to perhaps forgoing a latte once a month if you're pinching pennies.

It's why there are many complaints to the CCTS and the CCTS is continuing to proceed denying Public's denials. These things take time though.

If you still have much of the freebie data that the account could have received over the years then it will change to the slower 3Mbps speed. The plan (10 or 13) gets full 4G speed. If that matters to you. Seems people are mostly fine with the slower speed that is only available now.

Unrelated to this price hike, my spouse is changing up to the $15 plan just because they do more texting and don't want to bother with the available workarounds. Not to do with the price. Just wanting more services. Different motivation.

@BikerRay yes, the $15  plan is a much better plan than the $13 one  

make sure you pick Change in the next renewal date if you are no rush for the upgrade. Change Now will have the unused days of the current cycle forfeited 

BikerRay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks. My wife is on the $10 (now $13) plan, and for two bucks, it's worth upgrading to the $15 one. I just didn't want to lose the extras.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

No worries you are good for that type of stuff 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BikerRay No worry.  Not about loyalty rewards,  friends referral rewards or Christmas data/LD bonus.  The words there were talking about the activation bonus, like those "2GB for X months when you activated before" promotion ...

Need Help? Let's chat.