cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance issues

TC_Cell
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,
Recently transferred my 90yr old dad for the basic public mobile plan $15/mo. including 100 min. province-wide talk+ from Telus pay-as-you-go.
When he tries to call a 1-250 # (within province), he gets a message that he is not set up for long distance calling and needs to add an add-on.
Why can't he call long distance within province???
Thx

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TC_Cell : I seem to think we've been seeing a few initial problems with this new plan. You're going to need the moderators to fix it.

You said outgoing hasn't worked since you got it. Do you have the account 4 digit PIN? And all other identifying verification information for the account? If so, then just look like the account holder to the moderators. It would only confuse things if they know you're acting on behalf of someone else. But if you can prove all the information then you should be fine.

This has been going on for a while now...have you been in contact with the moderators about it?

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@TC_Cell 

Hi, I'm just wondering when you log into the account, and check the usage history, you don't see any minutes?  No calls made?  But you have 100 minutes?  Does the screen look like this?

Usage.png

This is what you should be seeing when you check the usage page.  Outgoing and incoming calls/SMS/MMS/DATA used, if any.  

Usage screen.png

@TC_Cell can you check his usage history on his self serve account ?

Note, if he's checking his voicemail from his public mobile device that does use outgoing minutes. If he can check his voicemail from another phone or landline or able to use a Wi-Fi app and then call his device to check his voicemail..that would not use his outgoing  minutes. 

It sounds like a tough situation to try and help when you can't  be there often. Best wishes. 

TC_Cell
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,
My 90yr old dad is residing in hospital w some mental issues and won't be released any time soon. His phone is his lifeline to the outside world.
I am unable to visit him daily and then also try to troubleshoot his phone.

I've narrowed it down a bit.
Incoming/ outgoing texts work...
Incoming calls work...
*611 just started working after multiple reboots/ sim removal...
Outgoing calls, including local (250), long distance (1-250) and voicemail (1-877) get a reply of:
you do not have a long distance plan and need to add an add-on

Logging into the account shows only data used/ still available and that's it,
no minutes whatsoever.
The cell # was ported from Telus a few weeks back ( with some trouble ) and no outgoing calls have ever been completed since switching to PM.
Where did the 100min go?
Thx

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@TC_Cell wrote:

Hi,
Recently transferred my 90yr old dad for the basic public mobile plan $15/mo. including 100 min. province-wide talk+ from Telus pay-as-you-go.
When he tries to call a 1-250 # (within province), he gets a message that he is not set up for long distance calling and needs to add an add-on.
Thx

Hi @TC_Cell perhaps drop the "1" if your dad has the same area code?

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

I would suggest YOU  try to dial the 250 number FROM HIS phone. I have a 94 year old mother in law. 

Dialling without a 1 often goes through with a gentle warning. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @TC_Cell 

The Province-wide plans are fairly 'new again' plans.  There's sure to be some hiccups and a learning curve for both customers and Public Mobile in ensuring it's customers get what they should get with this.

Depending on the numbers of people your father routinely contacts, and given he's on a limited outgoing minutes based plan, could he text message the typical recipients sometimes to request they call him instead? 

Yes, it's a bit of a pain to do, however his incoming calls are free and not time-limited.

@TC_Cell wrote:

Hi,
Thx

Is it any 250 phone number that causes this?  And by any chance is your dad anywhere near one of the provincical borders in BC?   If it's all phones numbers with area code with of 250 that are causing problems, check how mnay minutes are left on the plan. Otherwise, open a ticket with the moderators by going to:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@TC_Cell Does he have minutes left to use? Try different local numbers and see if any go through. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@TC_Cell wrote:

Hi,
Thx

Hi @TC_Cell , will the call connect even after the message completes?

Try adding a 1 in front of the number.

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

If issues persist inquire about this with the Moderators.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Need Help? Let's chat.