cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance issue?

jCobalt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello guys, 

I've been having a bit of an issue with my plan complaining about long distance calls when it is actually local or within the plan specs

I currently have the Ontario wide unlimited calling and have a 647 number (I believe that's Ontario) and cannot call a 905 number (which is also Ontario as far as I know) without it saying that we need a long distance addon

Does anyone know about this?

Thanks as always and any help is very appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

@jCobalt, did you listen to the complete message?  Depending where you are in Ontario, and the physical call centre of the number you are calling, if you were using a landline, to complete the call, you would normally have to dial 1 first, then the 10 digit number.

If the message said ‘long distance charges may apply’, you’re fine, the call will go through normally, just the annoyance of hearing the message.

To get around this, setup the dialing info with a ‘+1’ infront of the phone number.  

If the call doesnt complete, it is either outside the province if you’re in your home province, OR, if you are in your home province, and a known inside the same province call doesn’t go through, contact the moderators, as when newer area codes, and even newer local exchanges existing local exchanges area codes come online, back end systems may need to be updated.

Remember 7 digit dialing?  When 10 digit dialing came onboard, systems changed, and this is when this type of issue started appearing.

all of the combined area within the 905 and the 416, used to be all 416.  Back then, they split the 416 into two area codes, named one of the 905, kept the other 416, as they are today.

Other area codes, like 519, which used to be all of Southern Ontario, now have overlay areacodes including 226, and I believe 538.

jCobalt

Hi Computergeek541,

Yep, I am located in Ontario and was contacting my home phone number which is also in Ontario.

I was a bit unsure about the area codes in case area codes were region based vs province based but your explanation does clear it up and reaffirms that there is probably something wrong with my account

Thanks for your reply! 

@jCobalt wrote:

I currently have the Ontario wide unlimited calling and have a 647 number (I believe that's Ontario) and cannot call a 905 number (which is also Ontario as far as I know) without it saying that we need a long distance addon

647 area code numbers are all City of Toronto phone numbers. The 905 numbers are also in Soutern Ontario.  They are outside of Toronto (on all sides), and also include areas outside of the Greater Toronto Area.  In short, you should not be receiving this message if you are making the calls from inside Ontario.

However, I am going to ask if you are actually located in Ontario, because you said that you only think that 647 is in Ontario.  If you call these Southern Ontario phone numbers on a regular basis, having anohter Ontario phone number does not necessarily make it a call within the province.

In fact, the area code of your phone number and the province of your phone number makes absolutely no difference when making an outgoing call.  For an outgoing call, the only things that matters for a plan with provincial calling is where you are currently located and whether you are calling within that same province.  An example would be if you have a Vancouver (BC) phone number and are in Toronto (ON) for business and make a call to Ottawa.  That call would be considered a within province call.

jCobalt

Great thank you very much! I'll ask the moderators about this like you suggested

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jCobalt, my guess if your account may have a provisioning issues where the database of included calling numbers is corrupted.  Please reach out to the moderator team and they should be able to reprovision your account.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following knowledge base link for information on contacting the moderator team.

Need Help? Let's chat.