cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal name change and porting number

Choo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, my daughter is not yet with public mobile but she would like to be. Her present plan at Rogers is still active and is in her prior name. She has now legally changed her name, and would like to start with public mobile in the new name. She would like to port her number as she runs her own business.  She does have all the legal documentation, etc.

what is the best way to handle this? 

thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

@dwh1 wrote:

@Choo One place where the name will matter is for credit-card billing. If the name does not match the name on the credit card account, the credit card charges will likely fail.  So if your daughter hasn't yet updated her credit card to the new name, you may have some challenges.  You can always pay with a voucher purchased in a store, but I don't believe you can do an initial activation with a voucher - some others here may be able to clarify.

Public Mobile does not use name for billing purpsoes.  The name on the Public Mobile account does not need to match the name on the credit card. Public Mobile doesn't even ask for the name on the credit card.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Choo 

As long as she uses the Rogers account number to port over to PM. She can enter her name she wants to use and the postal code is the same on her Rogers account and her CC matches…it should be fine.

Remember to give her your referral code so she can get the $10 credit off her next bill and you will receive 1 point/month on your account.

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Choo One place where the name will matter is for credit-card billing. If the name does not match the name on the credit card account, the credit card charges will likely fail.  So if your daughter hasn't yet updated her credit card to the new name, you may have some challenges.  You can always pay with a voucher purchased in a store, but I don't believe you can do an initial activation with a voucher - some others here may be able to clarify.

@Choo   I don't think the name matters as long as you are able to give the account number (it usually asks for either the account number or the IMEI, but best to go with account number since people have reported difficulties when using the IMEI.   I ported a number in to PM from another provider and I was not the primary account holder but just giving the account number was enough to do the port.

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can use this article from Roger’s to learn more about Porting. https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/transfer-your-number-to-another-carrier

Also you can use this article to port into Public Mobile. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/transfer-your-number

If your still having trouble you can contact Rogers and they can assist you.

If you yourself are a Public Mobile Customer then you can use your referral code to refer your daughter and get a one time $10 credit and a $1 monthly off your plan. To get your referral code you can go to your account and on the first page you should see your referral code their, send it to her and when she’s done her account process it will give her an option to add in a referral code.

Choo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for your reply. Address is same and isn’t a concern. The concern we have is porting a phone number from Rogers under a different name into a new name with Public Mobile. Thank you 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

She has new name now - correct?
So let her use her new name to open PM account. Usually address is not that important but name could be if agent asks her to confirm it. agent Never asked me for address details though...

Need Help? Let's chat.