cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline calls not working with 825 area code/Can I change area code only?

clfn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Having a few issues. First, most calls not going to my phone, they say "Customer is not taking calls at the moment" and no I do not have the do not disturb mode on, nor arirplane mode.

Second, almost all landline calls, will not go through to my phone either, it says "the number you are calling is out of service" again, that is not the case. Cell phones go through, well most of the time except when it says I am not taking calls for some reason. Its so frustrating. 

I am wondering if it is the area code. If I can change just the area code and use an alternate local one. 

11 REPLIES 11

@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

...the issue I have is that the number is saying it's a long distance call, but both the landline and my 825 number are both based in Edmonton.

Actually the message states it may be a long distance call -- since the same system is shared by Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile, the switch doesn't know your plan so it states a generic message heard by all subscribers. But all current Public Mobile plans include Canada Wide long distance so nothing to worry about.

That message seems somewhat common of some prefixes actually... I also randomly get the warning for a local Regina prefix.. I know it's an Iristel prefix common with VoIP providers including Microsoft's Teams. The call will still complete after the warning, but just prefix with a 1 to guarantee never hearing it.

@WoozyPolarBear 

Yes @Nezgar corrected me with solution.....it was 5 years and 20 days old. The article I skimmed thru neglected to include the year!🤔

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

@HALIMACS 

Seeing as that area code is 20 days old I figured changing the number would be a more viable option than waiting for the kinks to iron out....the OP can't be that attached to the number!

The area code is not 20 days old. I've had an 825 area code since Sept. of 2019. A friend of mine also activated a second 825 number in Dec. of 2020 with Public Mobile.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious wrote:

@clfn 

The 825 area code only began service April 9th. This is probably why you are having issues because it takes time for other telecoms/providers to update their systems. It would be best to search the local Edmonton calling areas for a more suitable phone number with an older area code. You can change your number once every 30 days in your account.

I've had an 825 Area code since 2019...so it was in service well before April 9th. I too have a few issues when Telus landlines call my 825 number, but the issue I have is that the number is saying it's a long distance call, but both the landline and my 825 number are both based in Edmonton.

@Nezgar @kselmak 

Lol....I guess I should have read the whole article.....the year wasn't included in the first statement so I assumed it was very very new!🤣

@darlicious wrote:

The 825 area code only began service April 9th.

April 9th 2016 --- so 5 years ago. 🙂  Should have been well long enough by now for these sorts of issues to be sorted out.

"Customer is not taking calls at the moment" Sounds like a familiar Rogers message when I was a customer... @clfn Did you by chance port from Rogers? If so, your port may not have completed, and you can confirm this if you put your Rogers SIM back in your phone and see if it still works. If it does you'll need to keep it in and contact the moderators to retry the port so you can receive and reply to a verification text within 90 minutes of receiving it.

@darlicious 

I have 825 number since last year and never any issues with it. 

@clfn I would still suggest contacting moderators to check if everything is ok with the account first. If it's just the number they could help you find a nice one with the desired area code and exchange (Google exchange for the area code you would like and check which ones belong to Telus)

You also can get a VoIP number someplace else and port it over

@HALIMACS 

Seeing as that area code is 20 days old I figured changing the number would be a more viable option than waiting for the kinks to iron out....the OP can't be that attached to the number!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@clfn ,

New areas codes tend to have some kinks to iron out.

I recall one from BC being new over a year ago, having some minor issues as well...but those seem to be not showing up any longer on forums. So hopefully, this new one gets 'all its ducks in a row' sooner rather than later.

If you just activated (like, within the last few hours), give it a bit more time - may a day or two and see if things improve.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@clfn 

Personally, I'd be asking the Moderators if there may be a better fix than changing the number. (unless you're not at all attached to the number)

Advise them of the specific issues you're experiencing and see what they propose.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator, then select contact us, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@clfn 

The 825 area code only began service April 9th. This is probably why you are having issues because it takes time for other telecoms/providers to update their systems. It would be best to search the local Edmonton calling areas for a more suitable phone number with an older area code. You can change your number once every 30 days in your account.

Need Help? Let's chat.