cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE speeds? Kinda?

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So with Public Mobile, all plans are LTE but limited to 3G speeds/3 mbps (Keep in mind some People with old grandfathered plans that may have LTE speeds)

I have switched to 3G for a while and I knew that I was getting faster speeds but worse latency but after a while I switched back to LTE.

I noticed something after switching back to LTE, I was getting full LTE speeds for some reason (I did not even switch phone plans I was on the same plan as before) I was wondering why. Then I got the limited speeds again after a few hours (see below)

CC6A3CFE-DCAE-4999-8660-E93C3AF5E97C.jpeg

I got limited speeds for a while then it was time for plan renewal, I payed with autopay like usual and was getting LTE speeds again. 

So it was like that over and over again so now I noticed. At every single plan renewal, I had been getting full LTE speeds for atleast 48 hours after renewal (then limited speeds again till next renewal) Is this normal?? 

PS: I knew I was getting full LTE speeds at times cause of speedtests

8 REPLIES 8

This could not possibly be the way it works for everyone after every plan renewal. Maybe a glitch on your plan/account? We’re you always on a PM 30 day 3G speed plan... or were you ever on a full LTE speed plan? Maybe something peculiar to accounts that used to be full LTE?

AE_Collector

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Asher2  A lot of members test the speed but I think it would good to not do it often.  When you get the faster speed, it can use a lot of data.  Doing these tests says you have extra data to spare and don't use it anyway but it means less to use later for other things. Speed tests makes data go away and you didn't get to use anything.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Asher2 Hi check out my topic very same issue with very  good answers I hope this helps 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/3G-or-LTE-That-is-the-Question/m-p...

Yup, same here @Asher2 

Good to have you aboard. 

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yea Public Mobile is known for many glitches. I am thankful that not many “big” glitches have happened to me in the past couple of months. But I have only been with Public Mobile for a few months, so I’ll see what happens.

Public Mobile is a 3rd tier provider so I do expect for many more glitches compared to 1st tier providers (AKA Bell, Rogers, and Telus)

Still way better then my previous provider who was Freedom Mobile, bad coverage, dropped calls, bad customer service, they didn’t even try to give me offers to keep me when i was trying to cancel (keep in mind they already have good deals just not worth it compared to the negatives) and Unreliable service. 

Staying with PM unless I find a better provider which I don’t think I will for a long time in this price point.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Asher2 wrote:

So with Public Mobile, all plans are LTE but limited to 3G speeds/3 mbps (Keep in mind some People with old grandfathered plans that may have LTE speeds)

I have switched to 3G for a while and I knew that I was getting faster speeds but worse latency but after a while I switched back to LTE.

I noticed something after switching back to LTE, I was getting full LTE speeds for some reason (I did not even switch phone plans I was on the same plan as before) I was wondering why. Then I got the limited speeds again after a few hours (see below)

CC6A3CFE-DCAE-4999-8660-E93C3AF5E97C.jpeg

I got limited speeds for a while then it was time for plan renewal, I payed with autopay like usual and was getting LTE speeds again. 

So it was like that over and over again so now I noticed. At every single plan renewal, I had been getting full LTE speeds for atleast 48 hours after renewal (then limited speeds again till next renewal) Is this normal?? 

PS: I knew I was getting full LTE speeds at times cause of speedtests

@Asher2, I know when people first sign up it takes around 72 hours for the data to get throttled. So I am wondering if because PM is no contract and every renewal is a new "service Agreement" if it takes the system some time to throttle the data after each renewal.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Asher2 

I think if you are happy with the 48 hour bonus of full 4G LTE data speed I would just keep it under your hat. Glitches happen a lot at pm . Sometimes its in your favour and sometimes its not.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Asher2 

I believe PM throttles the speed down to the levels it prefers to provide PM customers.

There are many factors that can influence speed.  

Traffic congestion notwithstanding, the first bit of time may be full speed LTE then it dials back to the 3G speeds of 3mbps.

Need Help? Let's chat.