cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 backup phone

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Uhg,

Seems despite it being compatible, and inserting my sim card, my old LG G6 doesn't seem to be working! yes, I rebooted.

25 REPLIES 25

rossputin

For anyone curious the SIM card was indeed fine.  I tested it in another phone.

.. cos it is not detecting any SIM card.. the icon on top is showing that.  

If you take the SIM out, power it on again, you will see the same icon on top

rossputin

@Anonymous wrote:

@rossputin : I was mostly looking for messages. Can you check for what kind of network you're connecting to? ie. LTE/4G,UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA/3G. Can you manually scan for and find and connect to Public Mobile?

Good call but doesn't say.  Note how the "Mobile Networks' menu isn't available?Capture+_2021-06-03-14-56-40.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin : I was mostly looking for messages. Can you check for what kind of network you're connecting to? ie. LTE/4G,UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA/3G. Can you manually scan for and find and connect to Public Mobile?

rossputin

@Anonymous wrote:

@rossputin : Maybe give this a whirl: shut down phone, remove SIM, restart phone, when done shut down phone, re-insert SIM, restart phone. Any messages pop up anywhere along the way?

Gave it a galent go, with no luck.  Thank you anyway.

Maybe get a new SIM tray for around $10 on Amazon?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin : Maybe give this a whirl: shut down phone, remove SIM, restart phone, when done shut down phone, re-insert SIM, restart phone. Any messages pop up anywhere along the way?

rossputin

yes, this sim works.  I pulled it out of current phone till it is repaired, to use in this one for an emergency.

It didn't see the SIM card (the icon on top ..)

did you put this SIM on another phone and confirmed that the SIM is good?  If not, you need to get one to test

Did you get a spare SIM, one that proved working and try on this phone?  I know you said you don't have a 2nd SIM yourself, you need to borrow from a friends, I guess.  Make sure you do a Network Reset when you enter a different SIM

rossputin

Capture+_2021-06-03-14-22-57.png   Capture+_2021-06-03-14-22-32 (1).png

@darlicious 

Thanks for catching that…I will adjust my response. 😉👍

on the other hand, you confirmed the SIM is working on another phone?    Can we safely say it's only issue with the LG G6 and not the SIM?

i think it is possible that it's the broken tray and the SIM contact might be loose because of that.  You might want to use a SIM from a friend.   Make sure you do a network reset when you enter a different SIM to test.   See if it works

rossputin

I don't have another sim.

The tray was broken, I wonder if it shifted a bit and the contact was loose.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin can you try another SIM from either Public Mobile or another provider in the LG G6 phone to see what happens?

rossputin

"Emergency calls only"

Despite the tray being broken, the SIM seems to fit perfectly.

Not sure what else to try.

20210603_140029_2.jpg

@rossputin what exact error message you see?

rossputin

it's model LG H873

Yes, did a factory reset (twice). still no luck. 😞

@rossputin wrote:

Seems despite it being compatible, and inserting my sim card, my old LG G6 doesn't seem to be working! yes, I rebooted.

The H873 variant of the LG G6 is certainly compatible as this is the same one that was sold by Koodo and Telus. I actually used one for about 6 months. I think that this might too good to simply be a backup.  I don't believe that this phone ever went past Android 9, but I would say that the specifications of this device still line up pretty good with the upper mid-level devices.  I'm not a fan of the software that LG installed though.  Are other active SIM cards working in it? Have you checked the IMEI at devicecheck.ca?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

LG phones need a network reset when switching SIM cards.  Factory reset would be overkill.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rossputin  what error you are getting ?  Was it asking for SIM PUK or something like this?

or not error, just didn't connect?  as mentioned above you might need to do a factory reset for LG phone.

@BKNS27 

Typo? Do you mean December 2017?

@rossputin 

Your LG should be able to text/call. The LG "issue" affects data and MMS only.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin 

Your phone might be locked by your previous carrier if you got the phone before December 1, 2017.

To get it unlocked, call your previous carrier to have it unlocked.

If your purchase was after December 1, 2017 then do a factory reset as noted by @dabr.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin wrote:

Uhg,

@rossputin   I've read other posts that suggest LG phones require a factory reset.  Of course, back up everything if you do this.

Need Help? Let's chat.