cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo prepaid pricing now the same as Public Mobile

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi all,

It looks like Koodo has now introduced "3G speed" plans on their prepaid platform.  And what's most interesting is that these four prepaid plans are identical to Public Mobile in price! 

Any thoughts as to why Telus has embarked on this pricing "strategy"?  Perhaps too many were churning and moving to PM?

Prepaid Plans | Pay As You Go | Koodo Mobile

Kristowhy_0-1647982623395.png

17 REPLIES 17

@Kristowhy 

What speed was offered before?

Or was no Data at all offered?

Does Koodo have:

1.  Rewards program?

2. Add ons as good as PM?

farmbot

I thinks Koodo prepaid was always 4G speeds afaik.

More obfuscation  from Telus lowering data speeds in the same prepaid grouping.

Gonna be a lot of disgruntled customers asking questions like when Koodo  and  PublicMobile "reintroduced provincial calling"

The marketing genius of this.

🤔

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Yummy 

Other than gamers....I don't get it either?

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@darlicious wrote:

@Kristowhy 

As far as I know koodo prepaid has always throttled the 4G LTE data to 3mbps

I do not get it this obsession with speed?????

Unless you have unlimited data what is the point of having faster Internet through phone? Are you glued to movies, reality shows, what?

2-3-4-etc GB of data go in no time. For previous 30 days I used about 10GB doing practically nothing; weather, some gas site checking prices, updating walking app, no movies no news no games.

Why everybody wants it faster and faster and faster?????? Same stuff on the streets; everybody goes way beyond speed limit. Going where????

Kristowhy

@darlicious wrote:

@Kristowhy 

As far as I know koodo prepaid has always throttled the 4G LTE data to 3mbps. The $15 and $35 price points have been mandated by the CRTC to fulfill the liberal governments campaign on promise to lower mobile plan prices to make mobile services accessible and affordable to all Canadians. Interesting that they have also had the $25 and $40 plans fall in line with pm's prices....but that also probably relates to the federal government's mandate in 2020 to lower mobile plan prices by 25% by 2022.

Looks like "3G speeds" found their way into Koodo post-paid STARTER plans as well, and seem to fit what @darlicious was saying about the $15 and $35 price points.

Kristowhy_1-1647986957131.png

Yeah so it seems like there is a lot being left on table between the two. Honestly, it seems that all providers loyalty/reward plans always change for the worth. Too bad I guess and a little frustrating lol

Kristowhy

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Kristowhy   I thought they are always the same  

But Koodo Prepaid does not offer plans over $40?

Looks like the max prepaid plan on Koodo is $45 @ 4G/LTE.  They previously had more expensive (with lots more data).  I guess the prepaid strategy now is to keep them on lower data plan tiers forcing those wanting/needing more data over to PM or post-paid!

Kristowhy

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Kristowhy, So Koodo prepaid used to be like our grandfathered LTE plan then.   Except now, everyone is on 3G plan

So, your old plan still give you LTE? or they forced you to go with 3G prepaid?

Yes, all the "legacy" Koodo prepaid plans are still on 4G/LTE.  If you check the Koodo site you will see they still sell 3 "4G" prepaid plans.....I wonder for how long, thou! 😉

Kristowhy_0-1647985330697.png

Kristowhy

@JL9 wrote:

Also I don't think they offer much in the way of bonuses like the various 2GB of data bonuses nor the rewards program whether it is the old or new program.

Koodo used to have booster bonanza sales many years ago...like 2x or 3x the data/minutes for the same price.  They also got rid of the 10% auto-top up bonus discount about a year or so ago.  These discounts are now only grandfathered.  There was never any freebies like the free 2GB and LD minutes add-on's we got this past Xmas holidays here at PM.

HI @Kristowhy, So Koodo prepaid used to be like our grandfathered LTE plan then.   Except now, everyone is on 3G plan

So, your old plan still give you LTE? or they forced you to go with 3G prepaid?

Kristowhy

@darlicious wrote:

@Kristowhy 

As far as I know koodo prepaid has always throttled the 4G LTE data to 3mbps. The $15 and $35 price points have been mandated by the CRTC to fulfill the liberal governments campaign on promise to lower mobile plan prices to make mobile services accessible and affordable to all Canadians. Interesting that they have also had the $25 and $40 plans fall in line with pm's prices....but that also probably relates to the federal government's mandate in 2020 to lower mobile plan prices by 25% by 2022.

I have had Koodo prepaid lines for many years and never saw 3Mbps speeds...it was 15-20Mbps on an old device I had at the time.

Looking at the Koodo FAQs now they clearly differentiate 3G and 4G:

Kristowhy_0-1647984877020.png

HI @darlicious   I think Rogers still have the $100 plan /year.  Not sure if they raise the price.  I helped my relatives pay for that plan before.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

True the interpretation of this mandate is rather confusing and I have yet to see telus fulfill the $100/year plan offering. In fact raising the price of the $10 plan flies in the face of this mandate.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

HI @darlicious , I think the $15 plan set by CRTC is for postpaid service only. So, prepaid can in fact has no rule for lowest price plan, I think

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Kristowhy 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Also I don't think they offer much in the way of bonuses like the various 2GB of data bonuses nor the rewards program whether it is the old or new program.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Kristowhy   I thought they are always the same  

But Koodo Prepaid does not offer plans over $40?

Need Help? Let's chat.