cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep old US phone number, add Canadian number via eSim

Cervelo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am currently on an AT&T plan from the US but would like to add the $15 monthly plan via eSim and get a second Canadian Montreal (514) prefix phone number. Can I keep the old and add the new number and both be active on my iPhone 12?

11 REPLIES 11

Cervelo

Are you staff with PM? One more question. On an iPhone, will it be seamless using the 2 phone numbers? Also will I be able to text with the CA number also through iMessage as I normally do? What separates the 2 phone numbers when using either or? Thanks.

Cervelo

I already have a US plan. Just need a CA phone number for texting with friends so THEY don't get charged.

Joe_G

Where will you be using your phone? To use the $15 plan in the US you will need to buy a US roaming add-on, and they're only good for 15 days.

@Cervelo 

Step 5 is number choosing, that is the step after payment.  Again, please start your subscription using the Public Mobile app

Cervelo

Not a problem with the Canadian credit card. Still need to figure out at what point I get to select the secondary Canadian (514) phone number. Does that come after I select the $15 plan and input my credit card?

Cervelo

Thanks but TextNow does not allow for group messaging.

@Cervelo 

you made all good.  you will get to keep your AT&T number with the AT&T account and get a new number with PM.

Last thing to consider is the credit card.  Do you have. Canadian credit card link to  a Canadian address?? Although the site said you can use US credit card, you cannot because of the postal code box, unless the US. card ties to a Canadian address.  But you can ask a friend to get a Prepaid Credit Card in Canada and enter a Canadian address in the payment step

@Cervelo 

You might not need a PM account...consider downloading the free voip app TextNow. You'll select a free Cdn number so you can call and text ...all for free using local wifi or your AT&T data.

Cervelo

AT&T is a physical SIM. I thought my App Store was set to US but I seem to have been able to download the PM App to my phone. Still I need to keep my old US number which allows me unlimited calls, texts and data while in and between US/CA/MX and get a new CA number. The objective is to keep my old number and be able to text and call with a new (514) number for Canadian friends without them incurring any charges.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Cervelo , is your AT&T sim physical or eSIM??

while iPhone 12 can have multiple eSIM profiles installed, it can only have one active eSim

However, it can take one active eSIm and one active physical sim.  So, if your AT&T is physical, then it would work 

The only concern. is that to activate PM account, you need to download the PM app and your app store has to be set to Canada.  If yours is set to US, you can ask a friend to help, but he has to be very careful in the subscription process and disallow the app to install the eSIM on his phone.  And you will the install the eSIM via scanning QR code on the Welcome email 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Cervelo public mobile allows you to have one phone number attached to one email per account.

If you want a second phone number, you would have to create another email address.

If you have a number to port check eligibility here. Usually you port Canadian numbers.

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default

Need Help? Let's chat.