cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just signed up, 'No SIM' problem...

pplvee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Searched through the forums for this problem, seems somewhat common. I have a OnePlus One. Checked IMEI tool and it should work. I'm getting the 'No SIM Detected' problem though. Is it really a bad SIM? Like I'd have to pay for another (potentially faulty) SIM again?

That being said, I only activated ~ 30 minutes ago. I feel like it shouldn't be telling me 'No SIM' though. It should just say, 'No Service' if that was the case.

7 REPLIES 7

suno
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Sounds like a sim tray that is bit more finnicky, wouldn't worry too much.  Stick to using a piece of tape to make it thicker or you can use a sim adapter.

@pplvee wrote:

Okay...

Tiny square of scotch tape on the back worked. SIM card is being read now. Interesting...

I'm guessing that the tape is either holding it down or that the tape is making the sim card thicker so that it doesn't slide out of place.  At least it is working now.

pplvee

Okay...

Tiny square of scotch tape on the back worked. SIM card is being read now. Interesting...

@pplvee wrote:

My old SIM with Wind still functions correctly. I'm going to try the scotch tape solution right now.

Another option would be to push out the nano-sim card out of the triple punch (if your sim card is of that type), and then to use a nano to micro adapter from elsewhere.  Depending on the adapter, that might align the sim card slightly differently.  But be careful with sim adapters but some are of different thicknesses than others, so attention to detail is needed to make sure that it doesn't cause a physically jammed sim card or adapter in the slot.

pplvee

My old SIM with Wind still functions correctly. I'm going to try the scotch tape solution right now.

@pplvee wrote:

Searched through the forums for this problem, seems somewhat common. I have a OnePlus One. Checked IMEI tool and it should work. I'm getting the 'No SIM Detected' problem though. Is it really a bad SIM? Like I'd have to pay for another (potentially faulty) SIM again?

That being said, I only activated ~ 30 minutes ago. I feel like it shouldn't be telling me 'No SIM' though. It should just say, 'No Service' if that was the case.

No sim means just that.  Your phone isn't detecting anything as being there.  This can be the result of a bad sim card, or a bad sim card reader.  Or sometimes, there are certain sizing variances causing the sim card to not be making proper electrical contact to the phone.  It's quite possible that your sim card to work fine in another phone but for another sim card card to also work fine in your current device for those reasons, which can further complicate the diagnosis of which end the problem is on.

If you have a friend who also uses Public Mobile, try his or her sim card in your phone.  Also, if you have one available, try your sim card in a different phone.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Have you tried removing it and inserting it again? Restarting the phone should fix it for sure. Normally, you should get service once you insert your sim.
Need Help? Let's chat.