cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just here to say hello

AceInTheHole
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I have been with Chatr for almost 9 years; and I still like Chatr they've been really good to me over the years and $45 a month for unlimited talk/text + 1gb of data has been great, but lately my Data speed has been REALLY slow and alot of the time it wont let me connect to wifi hotspots; It tells me I'm connected, but then doesn't work. So after about 4 months of "humming and Hawing" and research I have desided to try PM, I just got my SIM in the mail today and when my "pre-paid" time I have with Chatr runs out in two weeks, I will be signing up with PM. Worse case, I don't like PM, I switch back to Chatr the next month and i'm out $10 for the sim, or PM is the best freaking company and I love it so much I never want to leave, ether way I'm good. 

16 REPLIES 16

denkom
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello and welcome to PM! Hope you stick around 🙂 

Info: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Share-your-3G-plan-experiences-here-laten...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AceInTheHole, I agree. Speed tests show substantial differences in download and upload speeds. But loading web pages, emails, etc. in real life show almost imperceptible differences when I compare side by side to friends' phones on LTE. It's more than satisfactory for me. I actually load web pages faster than my friends who have phones with lower specs. The increased LTE speeds do not benefit them. Also, although we are running 3g speeds, we are benefitting from LTE latency, which is quite noticeable in comparison to phones running true 3g.

GC 

jp2

@GreatCanadian yes I also find it fast enough for me but definitely not as fast as 4G LTE I did a speed test before and after they started throttling me and it dropped significantly.  

GreatCanadian

Yep that's true. But I've been with Public Mobile for about 4 months now, and 3g speeds are more than satisfactory for my uses. Again, that's for me, YMMV.

GC

jp2

@jchaput88 If you just started using public it can take up to 72 hours for them to slow your speeed down to 3G speeds

GreatCanadian

@jchaput88, I feel the same way. I have 4 family members on 3g plans. I don't find it any different for my usage than when I was on 4G with Telus or Bell. I'm sticking with 3G.  I've used my data to live stream sporting events, and have never regretted going with 3G. Perhaps if your streaming 4k video there may be a difference. But also 4k video will eat your data in a hurry!!

@AceInTheHole. A 90 day plan with global texting, province-wide calling, and 6 GB of 3G data will run you $114 bucks if you sign up for autopay. Approximately $38 per month. The 6GB data is for the full 90 days, so equivalent to 2 gigs per month. The same plan with 12 GB will run you an extra 5 bucks per 30 days. 

Good luck, and welcome!!

GC

jchaput88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I think you will love it. I have a 1gb 3G plan right now as my personal phone alongside a company phone and I find that my data speeds on 3G are faster than my LTE with my Telus company phone that I have had for the last 4 years. it just shows that The big boys are even messing around with your data speeds on your phones. 

@AceInTheHole If you happen to be near western Mississauga, send me a private message. I have a spare SIM.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@AceInTheHole Some useful, I hope, reading: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/BE-PREPARED/m-p/112014#M20827

I haven't updated today, but I seee there is now $10 talk/text plan if you want to activate a plan immediately before porting from chatr. MMS is included in texting plans and will allow you to confirm data connection as well as talk & SMS.

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile
Welcome to Public Mobile!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@AceInTheHole  welcome to teh community.  I transfered my mother from chatr to pm.   The only "issue" was that i had to call chatr to get the account number to do the port.

as mentioned i would start PM a couple days before your plan with chatr ends, just in case you run into any issues. 

Just a FYI the portal can sometimes be buggy so i would activate a new temporarty number, then once the account is working then go ahead and port your number.  make sure your name and account numbers are exact as stated in chatr.

Best of luck.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@AceInTheHole wrote:

So I have been with Chatr for almost 9 years; and I still like Chatr they've been really good to me over the years and $45 a month for unlimited talk/text + 1gb of data has been great, but lately my Data speed has been REALLY slow and alot of the time it wont let me connect to wifi hotspots; It tells me I'm connected, but then doesn't work. So after about 4 months of "humming and Hawing" and research I have desided to try PM, I just got my SIM in the mail today and when my "pre-paid" time I have with Chatr runs out in two weeks, I will be signing up with PM. Worse case, I don't like PM, I switch back to Chatr the next month and i'm out $10 for the sim, or PM is the best freaking company and I love it so much I never want to leave, ether way I'm good. 

Make sure that you port your number over before your Chatr time is up as you can only port over an active number.

Not sure if your unlimited calling is just within ZONES as I have never experienced that but you can get Canada wide calling, International texting, and 2GB of 3G data for $47 or $45 after autopay discount.  For $40 *after autopay* you can get Province wide, international texting, a nd 1GB LTE.  So many options I think you will be very happy.  Make sure you look at the build your own plan.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@AceInTheHole, I think you will find the lack of zones quite refreshing.  Since you are paying $45 for talk, text and 1 gig of 3G data, you will find pricing on this service competitive.  If you are willing to pay a bit more for the full LTE speed data, you will for sure enjoy a much better user experience and still come out a few bucks ahead each month.  Don't forget use auto pay and save $2 each 30 days.  Also, use a referral and make someone happy. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Hello and welcome to the community. 

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. 

jp2

I think you will like it. This community is great if you ever need help

Need Help? Let's chat.