cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Switched from Wind to PM, Here's My Experience

Mustyfacecloth
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was on Wind for a bit over a year and the service wasn't terrible but I wasn't happy, my service would drop at random times in zones that are supposed to be covered, and of course the coverage was fairly small so I'd be roaming in Whitestone, Barry's Bay, and Marmora (all in Ontario), places I go fairly often.

The new fall promotion plan interested me after seeing it posted on Reddit, knowing that PM has coverage in those areas, so I ordered a SIM card on Thursday night.  It arrived today around 12:00pm.  Hopped on here right away to activate the SIM card and everything went very smooth.  I just provided my old Wind account number, alternate phone and authorization name to port the same number over.  After paying and finishing the setup, I shut down my phone (Nexus 6P), removed the Wind SIM, put in the PM SIM, and powered the phone back on.

Right away my phone seemed to be on the network but I manually set up the APN settings anyways just to be safe.  Data and outgoing calls worked instantly, but no outgoing or incoming texts.  15-20 minutes later I get a text saying my number was successfully ported, and everything was working perfectly.

If anybody on Wind interested in switching has any questions (or anyone at all), I'd be happy to try to answer them.

9 REPLIES 9

gpiglet

Thank you guys~  I will patiently waiting for my sim card arrived then, I can't wait to switch from WIND to something more reliable!! 

deleted because I was too dim read carefully "just ordered my SIM"! 😂

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Sameer
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@gpiglet Yes, you need to wait until your SIM arrives since you need the sim card to setup a new account. Just wait until it comes for the smoothest transition and no issues.

Mustyfacecloth

@gpiglet I'm not positive but I believe you might have to wait for your sim in order to create an account.  That's what I did, anyway.

@vbobo So when I initially registered with Wind I bought an LG G4 through the Wind store.  About two months ago I used the online tool from Wind to unlock the device and gave that to my sister so she could use it (she's on Virgin Mobile).  I bought my Nexus 6P from the Google Store, and it came unlocked, which did show that I was on LTE as soon as I turned data on after inserting the SIM card.  Speeds are way faster I can assure you, I expected faster than Wind, but this exceeded my expectations.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gpiglet, you are on the wrong website if its sending you a confirmation text.. thats to set up selfserve access for those who alrady have active line and no selfserve.  

You should start at https://activate.publicmobile.ca and follow the prompts .. it will lead to you creating new account, selfserve and option to port your Wind mobile number as well.

Sameer

I ported using Moblicity and Koodo, so not sure if its 100% the same as Wind.

You should go to activate.publicmobile.ca to get started. Enter the SIM# on the sim card, your account info, and select transfer #. Give your phone IMEI, wind account number, alternate number, etc. And it should successfull port. If it gives an error, try to add additional info and make sure info is correct.

After that, pop in the new sim card and you should be good to go in a few minutes. Reboot your phone if there are any issues.

And look to set any APN settings if you need to. I had two iphones and it was automatic for both of them.

vbobo

Did you bring over a wind mobile phone that you had unlocked? If so did LTE pick up right away?

Hows coverage and speeds compared to wind?

I'm going to be switching today too if the sim card makes it in today haha 🙂

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Welcome to Public Mobile and sharing your experience.   Hopefully others will read what you did and understand the porting process.  That seems to be the biggest issue. New customers start the port see that one aspect is done (calling out) but they panic when they are not able to receive calls immediately.

its good to know about the text message saying port complete and the approximate time length.

gpiglet

Hi there,  

Thank you for sharing your exerpeince.  ANother WIND user here. 

I just ordered my sim card and want to open an account on PM website. 

First step was asking me to verify my phone # to receive a confirmation text. 

I tried multiple time with my WIND mobile # and it won't take it.  It keep saying invalid phone #... I didn't enter any dash and just straight 10 digit phone #.  What's going on? 

Thank you so much. 

Need Help? Let's chat.