cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Public Mobile 5G network fake?

Huairen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I think that the Public Mobile 5G Network is fake and here is why I thi9nk that.

There is no Public mobile 5G in the network list only 4G and LTE however the icon shows 5G when it clearly is not.

The public mobile SIM are not 5G compatible so what I think they do is just place the 5G icon on it and sell as 5G.

I always got full bars in my apartment but for the last 3 days I now get like 2 or 3 bars and is not because of the weather plus I'm surrounded by 5G towers those from Teleus, Bell, Videotron and Rogers.

I think we should ask the CRT to investigate this issue plus I would like to say to public mobile STOP reducing the data speed.

I'm know a lot of people will leave public mobile soon because of these bad practices and also you can read the reviews on Trustpilot they have like 2.9 rating.

Screenshot_2023-11-15-04-57-14-256.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

@Huairen 

how come your screenshot also doesn't show 5g for Rogers or Bell? is it possible, they also have fake 5g?

HI @Huairen 

i think you are not iPhone user from your first screenshot?

Usually the icon on top shows what network you are on.  Maybe 5G just hidden as the choice but you are accessing it? Go to Google Store and download some Network monitor, it will tell you exactly what network mode, 4G or 5G, you are using

and no worry about the number of bars, use speed test app to test the speed.  Let us know how fast you have

@Huairen   Like this you mean?

IMG_0409.jpeg

Huairen

Thank you all for your feedback.

I saw some screenshots from some users and those screenshot have nothing to do with the issue so if you go to settings and manually select a network you will see that Public Mobile 5G is not there and it is because it doesn't exist all of their SIM cards are LTE unless someone can share like I did an screenshot from their network list and shows that there is a Public Mobile 5G Network you can select, of course you will always get the 5G icon even if you are on a LTE or 4G as long as your phone has the 5G turn on you will always get this icon.

So with your fancy iPhones and fancy Android phones go to setting and manually select the 5G network and share it with users that would be great and no I don't have a Samsung phone.

Thank you all for your feedback

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Huairen   I don't know why your phone shows 5G in the status but not in the networks but perhaps someone will be along to explain the technical reasons.  I have my iPhone set to 5G Auto and the status switches between 5G and LTE depending what I am doing and where I am.  The speed I get on 5G is often around the maximum PM advertises.  From what others have said you can still get 5G speed on PMs LTE.  What speeds are you getting?  As @Handy1 said, some phones do seem to have problems with 5G settings.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Huairen  I second the Apple suggestion , here have a look at my screen shot it’s 5G .. you happen to have Samsung s20 by any chance if so that explains why u don’t see 5G with PM 

Handy1_0-1700132867848.png

S-J

Maybe try apple. I’m getting 5G on iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Need Help? Let's chat.