cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have a phone plan without a phone number?

Tritanix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I thought I have little use of the phone feature (calling, receiving call). In fact, I rarely use it. Within a year, I barely made a few outgoing calls, which I could easily do differently using various messenger apps via Internet. Almost the totality of phone calls I receive are spams.

The actual usage of a phone number is as a way to ID me with various customer services. Sometimes, receiving 2FA authentication code through SMS text, which BTW is not even safe. In fact, I think I can live without a phone number. Which would save me to cut down all the spams. There are other means of communication using the Internet which can even do video. And especially there is no spam.

Does it exist a phone plan without phone number? And in case there is, would this be significantly less expensive? Because I guess all the burden of managing phone number, lines and routing would no longer be necessary.

5 REPLIES 5

Tritanix

No, you need a phone number to link to your plan but you need a plan with data for your apps to work when there are no free wifi available.

You can use an unlocked phone but communication app will need an email or pick a number connected to wifi.

Oh so a SIM card is mandatory to get data when outside? I am currently on the $34 plan with 50G which is way way too much for what I actually use (1 to 3G max / month). Having a phone number is a hassle for me b/c of all the spams voice and text that arrive to my phone. I don't know how those spammers would know of my phone number. Maybe they just spray randomly their spams in the entire range 000-000-0000 to 999-999-9999.

I don't know how the underlying phone infrastructure works. I was just hoping that not having to manage the phone part (number, routing calls, etc) would make a significant saving for the provider.

MrBurns

All services and simcards are attributed a number. Also public mobile does not offer data only plans.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Tritanix 

No, you need a phone number to link to your plan but you need a plan with data for your apps to work when there are no free wifi available.

You can use an unlocked phone but communication app will need an email or pick a number connected to wifi.

You will still get spam in either case.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I don't believe so. Best I could suggest is the basic $15 plan with 100 minutes. 

Since Public Mobile is a prepaid phone service provider,  they cannot be used to verify certain services like LinkedIn and most banks, especially international companies/banks for verification.  If that is what you mostly need it for, you might encounter some issues and it would probably be best to go with Koodo/Telus.....

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Tritanix there is no data only plans at public mobile.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.