cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is FIDO account automatically cancelled after porting to PM?

kwandary
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just activated my PM SIM and ported my number from FIDO. Is the FIDO account automatically cancelled or do I need to call FIDO?

Thanks for your help.

19 REPLIES 19

@Francis_C good to hear Cat Wink

There was another member posting they had over $90 in overage costs

Yikes

Francis_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@kav2001c

This could happen, but thank god I didn't go over the pro-rated limit.

The fido customer rep told me that I should receive a refund for the remaining days in the mail soon.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
It should've been done along time ago. Do you still have service with your Fido sim?

If you're %100 sure everything's working with PM maybe you should just cancel Fido. But it's definitely very strange.

Sheldon71

I had thought so as well, but when I called fido they said my fido account was still active 🙁

Maybe it just hasn't filtered through the system, but I made the change Nov 15.

Pier
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Sheldon71

That means you have nothing to see with fido now. Your port is complete, you're on PM network now. You can try to access your fido account and what is going there. I'm sure it has been deactivated.

Sheldon71

I'm using the same # as my fido account

Pier

@Sheldon71

Do you a temporary number or your old number with fido?

Sheldon71

I can send and receive calls and data, fido just has no record of the switch. Any ideas, @Shazia_K?

@Francis_C be careful pro ration can be very dangerous

In most instances it is BETTER to pay entire month 

As an example (numbers totally made up for illustrative purposes)

You have a $60 plan with 2GB of data every month

You port in the first week of the month (25%)

It is true that Fido will only charge you $60 x 25% = $15 for plan

But they will also pro rate your data as well 2GB x 25% = 500MB

And if you exceed the 500MB in most cases your overage costs are more than your plan (current bill is $5 per 100MB if I remember)

Pier

@Sheldon71

I guess you didn't port out your number from fido. Can you receive call now?  If not, you have to contact the PM mods to finalize the porting for you. @Shazia_K@Mary_M

Sheldon71

I recently switched my number from fido to pm, but I received my normal monthly bill from fido. I called them and after an hour on hold was told my fido account was still active. What do I do to get pm to tell fido they've taken over my number?

srlawren

Thanks for confirming, @jeremyesq

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jeremyesq
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Yes @Francis_C your bill will be prorated. That is what Fido did when I ported away from them back in February.

srlawren

@Francis_C no need to be sorry, it's a good question.  I would think that Fido would charge you a pro-rated amount for the portion of the cycle that you were active, though I don't know their policies--it's also possible you could forfeit any unusued portion of the cycle, particularly if you happen to be ona  pre-paid account there.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Francis_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sorry to bring this up.

Regardless of when the Fido billing cycle ends, do I have to pay for the remaining days or prorated if I activate the PM sim in the middle of the month?

srlawren

Welcome to Public Mobile, @kwandary!

Pier

Hello! 

Welcome on board! You have made the right choice. Don't worry about your old carrier, you have nothing to see with them once your number has been ported to PM. Enjoy that one you have now (PM) with no extra monthly charges. 

Best, 

McLaren

No need to call them. Automatically canceled and you will receive your final bill

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Ye, it is automatically cancelled when the port is finished.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.