cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 12 max pro and 5G

sal82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi good people. Merry Christmas to you and your family. 🎄 🎅 ☃️

I switched my mom over to the $34 for 50GB 5G plan today. She has an iPhone 12 max pro. The internet says it supports 5G. But all the phone picks up is LTE. When I go into cell data options, there is no 5G option.

What can be done?

16 REPLIES 16

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

I'm not 100% sure, but I would expect iPhone 12 to behave similarly to 12 Pro Max as long as they're on the same software version.

It shouldn't matter who sold the iPhone, as long as it's the same hardware variant.

@sheytoon 

But iPhone 12 could still be without 5G?

and if that is the case, does that only limited to iPhone 12 sold by Telus? 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Happy to be wrong on this one, glad it's enabled on iOS 17.2.1 🙂

Flameotter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sal82 @Handy1 
Glad it worked. I updated my iphone 13 shortly after setting up my account on it and putting in the SIM Card. I’m on iOS 17.2.1

@sal82  Glad my suggestion worked , and happy new year 🥳 

sal82

after updating to iOS 17.2.1, the phone shows 5G.

thanks to everyone for your help.

thanks for the info @sheytoon 

I guess similar situation with S20 series

sal82

well i'm hoping that you are wrong. it's literally a few lines and edits of coding combined on android. so one would bet it's the same thing on ios.

that's why i was furious when i found out that my xperia 1iii had regional models and since i ordered mine from asia, i can't get 5G here in canada. meanwhile, the actual phone is PERFECTLY CAPABLE!! what kind of stupidity is this???

i CAN enable 5G on my own, but i'll lose widevine L1(security). and i use banking apps that check the phone for it.

@Handy1 @sheytoon  My iPhone 13 mini gets 5G no problem, and it was purchased unlocked from Costco.  I'm really puzzled why the other poster is being told PM doesn't support 5G on it.

@sheytoon  Would this be true for the iPhone 13 mini . I know the 13 itself and the 13 pro max has 5G option but check this thread iPhone 13 mini having exact same issues . Guessing it was the old iPhone 12 innards /programs to make more budget friendly . So could that be reason for it aswell 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/5G-does-not-work-with-iPhone-purchased-fr...

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@sal82 iPhone 12 series is the first iPhone to support 5G in Canada, and it's only supported with n66.

When 5G launched in 2020, Apple and Telus only enabled 5G on the Telus brand, not for PM. At this point, because it's a few years old, I doubt Apple will release a new patch to enable 5G for PM, even if Telus requests it.

sal82

She got around 170mbps.

I'm currently updating the phone to iOS 17.2.1. Hopefully it helps. @Handy1 

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Did you check, https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage ? As others have mentioned it maybe that you have the 5G speed, but in any case it's good to check if you are in an area that is covered by the 5G speeds.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@sal82  That’s strange this is the second post today about this . And the iPhone 12 is certainly 5G ready . Is the IOS update to 17.2.1 try that and see if it helps and update carrier settings if it needs it 

Flameotter
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sal82 If this was just done you may need to reboot the phone to get connected with the new service. I was on an iPhone 8 plus and even though it didn’t have 5G it required me to reboot when the 4G Plan switched over to 5G. I have an iPhone 13 Pro now which has 5G and it shows the 5G Symbol with verified Ookla speed tests.

Maybe contacting a @CS_Agent would be helpful.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @sal82 

You may not see the 5G on the phone but do a speed test to check the speeds. You should notice 250mb ish.

Need Help? Let's chat.