cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet/data so bad, almost unusable in Toronto

mautacus
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone, I've been a Public Mobile user for about 4 to 5 years now and have always had good things to say about it. Internet was fast and without problems. I got my girlfriend to join as well. I love the rebates and everything. 

Unfortunately I can no longer say the same things. I think around the beginning of this year (it's hard to be pinpoint as we've been in lockdown for so long) the internet connection really went downhill. Things either just don't load, or take forever to do so. I'm at the point where I find myself not even bothering to look up anything anymore unless I have wifi. I can't even stream music on Spotify with high quality anymore without it stopping every 10 seconds. My girlfriend is experiencing the exact same thing on her phone. 

Did I miss something? What happened? Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there anything I can do, or is this the end of my journey with Public Mobile? 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

11 REPLIES 11

@mautacus if it's only happening in one particular location, it might be due to the vendor swap. Both Bell and Telus are well under way to swap out Huawei to new vendors.

In Toronto, Bell is swapping to Nokia. Performance and coverage may not be exactly the same as before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mautacus 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and you can try to reset network settings and Changing APN Settings,
Spoiler
for IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

and do Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,

@Ngoik   

similar , as i asked @mautacus , can you provide us more info.  What brand and model of phone you are using?  did you notice the internet issue is worse in any particular area and better in others?

ham_ahma
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If this is an ongoing situation for you then I think that for some reason the coverage got reduced in your area. In this case I recommend that you submit a ticket and ask them to check the signal strength in your area.

Another thing I recommend is that you can ask a friend that lives nearby and check weather they have same problem in your area or not.

Hope this answer helps! 

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Ngoik wrote:

I've been experiencing this issues too. 

On Wifi my internet works fine. 

On data it can get incredibly slow, and some websites barely load. It's a fairly new issue. 

@Ngoik 

Have you tried using 3G exclusively?

If not working, send a message to CS, maybe they can give an update on what's going on.

Ngoik
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been experiencing this issues too. 

On Wifi my internet works fine. 

On data it can get incredibly slow, and some websites barely load. It's a fairly new issue. 

shimdog
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This doesn't sound like a general problem and seems to be just a problem for you. It's weird that the two of you are both experiencing this. Do you both have similar devices? I wouldn't expect there to be a problem on both of them unless their similar. Otherwise, my best guess is that you're using data in poor locations.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mautacus   what brands and models you and your girlfriend have?  did you notice the internet issue is worse in any particular area and better in others?

@t_p wrote:

@mautacus wrote:

Hello everyone, I've been a Public Mobile user for about 4 to 5 years now and have always had good things to say about it. Internet was fast and without problems. I got my girlfriend to join as well. I love the rebates and everything. 

Unfortunately I can no longer say the same things. I think around the beginning of this year (it's hard to be pinpoint as we've been in lockdown for so long) the internet connection really went downhill. Things either just don't load, or take forever to do so. I'm at the point where I find myself not even bothering to look up anything anymore unless I have wifi. I can't even stream music on Spotify with high quality anymore without it stopping every 10 seconds. My girlfriend is experiencing the exact same thing on her phone. 

Did I miss something? What happened? Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there anything I can do, or is this the end of my journey with Public Mobile? 

@mautacus 

Can you try putting your phone on 3G (WCDMA)?

See if it makes a difference.

You can also check if APN settings are correct, and try a Network settings reset.

Set up data on an Android phone (publicmobile.ca)

Set up data on an iPhone (publicmobile.ca)

Incorrect APN would result in no data connection.  No need to check APN if there is a data connection even if it is slow.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mautacus , did you switch out of your legacy plan to a newer plan?  Public Mobile started applying a throttle on the data speed (3 mbits/s) for new plans.  If your plan has Canada wide calling instead of province wide calling, then you are on one of the new "3G speed plans".  The legacy plans with no data speed throttling had province wide calling.  I use the word new but the 3G speed plans have been around for years.  Do you recall seeing this?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Extended-We-ve-Expanded-Our-Offerings-I...

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@mautacus wrote:

@mautacus 

Can you try putting your phone on 3G (WCDMA)?

See if it makes a difference.

You can also check if APN settings are correct, and try a Network settings reset.

Set up data on an Android phone (publicmobile.ca)

Set up data on an iPhone (publicmobile.ca)

Edit: If the issue persists, send a message to CS, maybe they can give an update on what's going on.

Need Help? Let's chat.