cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection

TSK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I cannot access the internet with my iPhone SE. I have internet thru my home network so I know it is not my phone, but I cannot access the internet away from home. I live in Calgary, so I think it should be easy to get a connection in this city. My "Network Selection" is Public Mobile. What am I doing wrong?

15 REPLIES 15

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TSK 

Bear with us Android users....we often have to rack or brains to remember how Apple devices work. There is a new iOS version available. Connect to wifi or iTunes and and go into your settings to update your software. Follow the prompts and you should be given the option to update your carrier profile. But as reiterated by @dust2dust refresh your usage page to ensure that you have data still available to you in your account.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

In relation to data available, did you click on the little spinner refresh icons lower down to make sure you're seeing current information. The 250mb could be a solid red bar. But then you might also have data add-ons. Particularly the recent 2gb from December.

Your home network IS wifi. It would almost certainly have a password. If not then all your neighbours would be enjoying free wifi.

And of course the easy, obvious, did you turn on cellular data?

TSK
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Reply to the many who tried to help me – thank you so much. I am not particularly computer/cellphone literate so I struggle a little with some things. Nevertheless, I provide a synopsis your suggestions and my responses to all those who provided their suggestions:

Your suggestions:

1. Handy1 - reset network settings / is network setting on 4G/LTE
2. popping (Oracle) - if your PM plan has date (sic, data), you need to make sure that to enable the mobile data before you can use the mobile data on your phone when you are away from your home WiFi signal. (Same advice given to me by Halimacs, dust2dust and hairbag1)
3. Halimacs - Make sure to clear cache and cookies and open an incognito tab before logging in there. If you still have data remaining, try resetting your APN settings.
4. darlicious - What iOS version are you running? Check for software updates and update your carrier profile. When was the last time you were able to use mobile data?
5. County DownleUk - are you saying that you cannot access wifi? Assuming you have the wifi network password.

My attempts to implement your suggestions:

1. Network setting is either 3G or LTE. I have it on LTE
2. Lots of data available – 77.25 of 250 MB used.
3. I cleared the data and history through Safari. I am not sure how to reset the APN, however, as I only seem to have an APN setting for my personal hotspot. My network selection is Public Mobile and that appears to be automatic.
4. The iOS version I am running is 15.7.2 and I don’t know how to answer your question about when I was able to use mobile data, other than through my personal hotspot. I very seldom, if ever, use something like Google on my cellphone. In fact, I seldom use any of the data on my plan.
5. If there is a WiFi network password, I don’t know what it is and I don’t know where I would input such a number.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@popping 

Excuse me?

A.) The OP is not a new subscriber.

B.)If you would like to mentor @Handy1 so as to provide relevant info and not copy and paste how to contact customer support as their go to please feel free to step up otherwise maybe you should rethink who you are directing your opinion to?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

1. When you have a wifi connection and you have data switched  on.......your phone should only be using wifi. 

2. When away from home internet/wifi with data turned off....are you saying that you cannot access wifi? Assuming you have the wifi network password. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Handy1 @darlicious 

We are not doing a good job to educate new subscribers.

We were guessing the problem with OP for the last 6 hours and provide the solution.  It s/he stays on the community to provide additional info.  OP's problem will be solved by now.

[Rant]

Over 4 years ago, I have the same conversion with Z10... that why people are not checking for answer after posing the question.

[/Rant]

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Handy1 

One of the reasons pm eliminated retail activations was due to the fact that the salespeople were not properly trained or educated about the services public mobile offers. But I suppose the salesperson did avail you to faster data speeds depending on network traffic the 3G network will average 10 to 12mbps up to 20+mbps.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@TSK 

check to make sure you haven't consumed all your allotment of data....

refresh.jpgplan.jpg

If you see no mention of any data..that means it's used up until regular plan renewal or you buy a data add-on.

@darlicious @When I first discovered pm it was a 3G plan I picked and the guy at the store said to set my phone to 3G even thou my phone was on 4G at the time … so naturally I figured that could have some sorta impact on op situation and trying to help trouble shoot . But thank you for the clarification now I know 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Handy1 

It doesn't matter whether or not you have a "3G" or "4G" plan you can use either the 4G LTE or the 3G network for data. The only difference is whether your 4G LTE data is throttled to 3mbps or not.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@TSK 

What iOS version are you running? Check for software updates and update your carrier profile. When was the last time you were able to use mobile data?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Do you have data left in your plan or add-ons? Did you turn on cellular data? Has it ever worked on this phone since you signed up with Public?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@TSK 

Check on self-serve to see if you have exhausted your data allotment. Make sure to clear cache and cookies and open an incognito tab before logging in there.

If you still have data remaining, try resetting your APN settings. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-iphone

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TSK 

If your PM plan has date, you need to make sure that to enable the mobile data before you can use the mobile data on your phone when you are away from your home WiFi signal.

BTW, I am in Calgary and I can use my PM mobile data after switching off my WiFi.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@TSK 

Outage  map in your area:

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map 

did you try to reset network settings / is network setting on 4G/LTE if that’s what your plan is or unless you have 3G plan is it  set to 3G 

Need Help? Let's chat.