cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet and roaming not working

Buster3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just arrived in NYC.

Purchased the 20 GB at 4G deal. Purchased US roaming for 7 days.
I can't connect to the internet. Nothing seems to be working. Tried the usual Airplane on/off thing. Roaming is set to on. What is the problem?

Thanks,

Buster

27 REPLIES 27

Buster3

Thank you, good suggestion for sure. I purchased the 20 data plan for three months, as it was a good deal. I am only here for 6 more days, and I have WiFi at the residence, so will just let be for now. My main activity is texting/calling, so that is working now. Thanks again.

Buster3

Yes, I had to manually choose T-mobile as the service and reboot several times.

Thanks for your help.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Buster3 

I see your point and it's an honest mistake. If your plan change and purchase of the US Roaming add on bundle occurred in the last 48 hours or so.... I would contact customer support and explain in detail your confusion over the plan details. Had the "small print" been more concise most people would not change to a higher priced plan and order either roaming bundle when the $50/40gb Canada/US Roaming plan offers more value for less money. Ask the CSA if they would be willing to put you on the  $50/40gb Roaming plan (with or without a $5 credit) and/or call it even. YMMV but it can't hurt to ask.

US Roaming pricing:

$65/50gb "5G" data plan w/unlimited talk+text to, from and within Canada/US 

$50/40gb "5G" plan w/unlimited talk+text to, from and within Canada/US

$40/20gb "4G" plan+$15 text+talk bundle (no US data)=$55 Or... w/$30 US talk+text+3gb bundle=$70

$25/1gb "3G" plan+$15 text+talk bundle (no US data)=$40 Or... w/$30 US talk+text+3gb bundle=$55

One would only choose the $15 text+talk bundle if you remained on the $25 plan without the intention of needing data while roaming in the US. In all other cases the $50/40gb Canada/US Roaming plan is the best bang for your buck.

@Buster3 wrote:

Yes, I see that now. However, it is not made clear at all on the individual page level. Legally, it would be considered misleading information. You can't expect someone to go through all the plans on the plan page to figure that out - if one is going to purchase one plan only and looks up the info for that plan.

Lesson learned.

@Buster3 - Roaming in the USA will work on any active plan (even the $15 one) with appropriate Roaming addons.

Yes, that is too bad this was misunderstood.

You need to look for "CANADA-US Plan" / "Canada-US" like below in the description of the plans. 

esjliv_0-1694786988637.png

So, after all that, can you call in and out and real sms text in and out?

You can buy a data-only roaming add-on now if you like.

Buster3

Great! Thank you!

HI @Buster3 

then download VoIP app TextNow.  it is free app and you make and receive regular calls and text using the app (you will be using a new phone number assigned by TextNow).  It will work wherever you have Wifi

Buster3

Yes, thanks - that is a good idea! Wish I would I had known that before. I only travel rarely, and only use cell phone mainly for essential things like calls and messaging. Thanks, everybody for the help and good advice.

Buster3

Yes, I see that now. However, it is not made clear at all on the individual page level. Legally, it would be considered misleading information. You can't expect someone to go through all the plans on the plan page to figure that out - if one is going to purchase one plan only and looks up the info for that plan.

Lesson learned.

HI @Buster3 

many businesses do it this way 😞

if you go to US, schedule a renewal for a Canada-US plan AHEAD of the trip, its is good deal even for one trip

but you have to plan the change, you have to make sure the new cycle start before your US trip.  if the cycle already started and you are in US, it won't work (or you loss more money to make a Change Now request)

Buster3

That is highly misleading and needs to be changed. You can't have "one fine print for all things" when it is visible under individual plans. Under individual plans only the fine print for that plan should be available. There is no indicator on that page that the "++" refers to a plan on a different page.

Now that I see it on the master page with all plans, it makes sense, but it is still wrong.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Buster3   The ** in the details doesn't match up with anything shown the plan, yours is not a Canada/US plan.  I know this is confusing but you have to match the numbers or characters in the small print details with items shown in the plan box.

Buster3

I had purchased the roaming addon while still on my old plan, which was a cheap one I've had for years ($25). I then noticed the 20 GB deal and added to my cart.  At that point I had not read the fine print yet. 

Buster3

Here is the whole page.Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 6.27.20 AM.png

HI @Buster3 

the fine print has ++ meaning only plans with ++ has that, yours does not

These fine print is a one for all thing, one fine prints for all plans, so, only the line only apply for those plans with ++, those Canada-US plan, yours is not one of them

You will need to login and buy US roaming add-on, $30 for Talk/text/data for 15 days

Add: Canada-US plan like this https://subscribe.publicmobile.ca/en/on/activation/plans/40GB-5Gspeed1 will show the data as 40 GB Canada-US Data at 5G Speed, yours didn't say Canada-US data

Buster3

I printed as a PDF but it won't accept, so I will try two different screenshots - one with my plan on top and then the fine print underneath.Plan and fine printPlan and fine printBottom of page - highlightedBottom of page - highlighted

@Buster3 wrote:

Thanks.

I purchased the 15 day Roaming add-on, although I will be here only 7 days. According to the plan I purchased, data is supposed to work in both Canada and US. (20 GB/4 G/month).

HI @Buster3 

20GB /4G/month don't come with US data I think.  Can you post the screenshot of the plan details from My Account?

@Buster3 wrote:

Thank you for the help. I am confused why would I need to purchase a bundle including data, if my data specifies that it works both in Canada and the US?

Plan states specifically : "Data can be used in both Canada and the US!!!"

@Buster3 i do not show a 20GB offering of a Canada-USA plan. I do have Canada-USA for 40GB and 60GB. Now, that does not mean that you do not see different plans in your account, that is possible too.

Do you have a screenshot of the 20GB plan showing unlimited Canada-USA ?

And, if this 20GB did include Canada-USA why would you need an extra Roaming addon?

Make sure the Roaming setting is turned on in the settings of your device for use with data.

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Buster3 

Data will work in the US if you are on one of the Can-US plans ($50 40GB, $65 50GB), $55 60GB [some regions]) but all other plans don’t include US data and will require a roaming data add-on to be purchased.

If you are looking in the offer details section, that contains notes for all plans. So it will mention features that you might not have on your plan. If you look on the plan details for yourself you’ll see little numbers or symbols that you can then get more details on in the offer details section. 

Buster3

Thank you for the help. I am confused why would I need to purchase a bundle including data, if my data specifies that it works both in Canada and the US?

Plan states specifically : "Data can be used in both Canada and the US!!!"

JRod

@Buster3 

There are a two different US roaming add-on’s in the bundle category, one is talk and text ($15), the other is a bundle of talk, text, and data ($30). Just trying to make sure you purchased the correct one for your intended usage. Based on you wanting data you would have wanted to purchase the $30 talk, text, and data bundle. Or if you just wanted Data there are other US data only options. 

If you ended up purchasing the incorrect one, you can try reaching out to customer service and explaining the situation. Usually it’s no refunds but depending on the agent you get they might make an exception. 

Please click this link below to message customer service:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Keep an eye on your mailbox here as that is where your reply will come in (envelope icon on desktop, click your avatar icon in the corner and then click messages if on mobile).

Buster3

15 days Roaming added to 20 GB/4G/month plan.

Buster3

Thanks.

I purchased the 15 day Roaming add-on, although I will be here only 7 days. According to the plan I purchased, data is supposed to work in both Canada and US. (20 GB/4 G/month).

@Buster3 

first, US roaming are now 15 days instead of 7.  You sure you successfully purchased the US roaming? which one you got? Text/Talk or Bundle?

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.  Which network you tried?  both? did you try manual connect?

Try to Reset Network Settings and see if it helps.  

If not, try connecting to both networks in a different area

JRod

@Buster3 Would you be able to tell me exactly which US roaming add-on you purchased? Even a photo would be helpful, removing any personal details of course. 

Buster3

Thank you, JRod. Tried both, not working. Phone is iPhone SE 2020

JRod

@Buster3 

Go into your network selection settings, turn off automatic and manually connect to either T-Mobile or AT&T and then reboot. Many have had more success with T-Mobile but AT&T has been reported to work for some. 

Need Help? Let's chat.