cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International trip

bluebilly
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m heading to the UK soon for a couple weeks is there an add on for international use for  calling  back to Canada

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

adityanair23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am shocked because back at home all the networks provided international roaming and it would come with a cost but it's worth since you have some data and can make calls back home in case of emergencies.

As you rightly mentioned PM should bring in the IR options to be even more competitive.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@adityanair23 Sadly you're right. If I had the choice to have Public incorporate any new feature, it'd be more roaming options - especially once the world is safe again for me

There are work arounds like others have said, but  it'd be huge peace of mind to just know your phone will work if needed. They'd actually kinda profit, as at least for me I'd buy it for just that reason, just in case anything should happen at home that needs my input, but could very well end up not needing it. But that knowing it's there without having to monkey with forwarding and hoping for WiFi/stable local data and such would be huge for me. It's odd that the company already has contracts/deals through international carriers roaming via telus and koodo, but no such possibility for us

I definitely feel your frustration on that one  lol

@mimmo 

Thanks for that....I will be sure to clarify in future.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious  if you are going to mention sms forwarding additional info should be provided.

forwarding texts requires the sim to be in a phone (powered on) with the pm sim in it, and the phone to be in canada an installed app that will forward the sms once received. 

Works on Android, not sure iphone.

@bluebilly 

Forward you pm number to fongo while in Canada. When you arrive in the UK get a local sim card.They are incredibly cheap compared to here. Any calls to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo app which will work on both wifi and mobile data. You can forward texts or just use a textnow number for texting.

pkara01

Previously I have used a 3rd party app over wifi called Whatsapp for calling and msging while out of Canada. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adityanair23 : Public Mobile only works in Canada or with roaming add-ons in the US. Nowhere else.

adityanair23

Sorry to go off topic but are you saying apart from US you don't get cell reception in any other country!??

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bluebilly if you decide to forward your calls to text now or any Canadian number it has to be done while in Canada. You will have no service once you reach the. UK.

@Luddite often recvomends gifgaff iirc.  I tagged him he might have additional info.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bluebilly : Not with Public Mobile. You can use the phone on wifi with voip apps like TextNow to do talk and text. You could get a local SIM and service. Maybe you could forward your calls to that TextNow number and be able to receive it in the UK on wifi. Maybe you could forward texts by leaving the SIM in a phone and on and forwarding texts. I think there's an app for that.

Need Help? Let's chat.