cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Text

maggie1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

If I purchase the internation text unlimited, and I am an iphone user does this mean I can text SMS (android) without paying if traving in US from Canada? Do I turn data/roaming off or how does this work?

Please advise. 

Maggie

12 REPLIES 12

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

That’s a great point. 

@maggie1234 wrote:

Thank you. I left roaming and cellular on and it shows at&t I’m top right. That’s ok though right? I’m not roaming and being charged? 

Remember, your service is with pm not at&t or T-Mobile and pm is prepaid. So if the service is not included in your plan it just won't work. No overages, even in the US.

Rockdaddy22

@srlawren wrote:

@maggie1234 anyone you normally have "green bubble" chats with should be fine.  I think if you want to message other iPhone users while you are in the USA with just the US Roaming Texting add-on, you may have to change some settings in your Messages app, but I'm not totally familiar with the details.  @Luddite @CalgaryBen @Rockdaddy22 could one of you provide more details on setting iMessage to only deliver over SMS/MMS for the duration of @maggie1234's stay in the US?

If you have no data, blue bubble people should automatically revert to green bubble people, no need to do anything. 

@maggie1234You are fine.. AT&T and TMobile are the 2 peering partners with the Telus network.

maggie1234

Thank you. I left roaming and cellular on and it shows at&t I’m top right. That’s ok though right? I’m not roaming and being charged? 

@maggie1234Make sure you have turn on the fall back in your Message settings as you won't be able to access data while you are on the add on

Enable SMS and MMS in iOS MessagesEnable SMS and MMS in iOS Messages

srlawren

@maggie1234 anyone you normally have "green bubble" chats with should be fine.  I think if you want to message other iPhone users while you are in the USA with just the US Roaming Texting add-on, you may have to change some settings in your Messages app, but I'm not totally familiar with the details.  @Luddite @CalgaryBen @Rockdaddy22 could one of you provide more details on setting iMessage to only deliver over SMS/MMS for the duration of @maggie1234's stay in the US?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

maggie1234

Thank you for the quick response 

deputyphil
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can leave data roaming on.  Since this is all prpepaid service, you won't be charged any extra.

maggie1234

Hello

that is what I purchased and was referring to:

US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day) - $8.00

I added this on

does that mean I can send and receive text from SMS users anderoid etc and should I turn off roaming?

thx a lot 

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@maggie1234 wrote:

Hi,

If I purchase the internation text unlimited, and I am an iphone user does this mean I can text SMS (android) without paying if traving in US from Canada? Do I turn data/roaming off or how does this work?

Please advise. 

Maggie

No, the unlimited international text feature only means that you can send texts to international numbers while using your phone service in Canada.  It does not mean text roaming.

For texting while travelling in the USA, you can purchase this add-on: 

US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day) - $8.00

or switch to a plan that includes USA roaming calling/data (the $60 plan)

Yes turn on data if travelling to the USA to ensure picture messages also work

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@maggie1234Just to clarify you mean purchasing a plan that includes International text? (since there is no texting add on). Your Public Mobile Plan will only work in Canada (unless you purchase the $60 plan or US roaming add on) officially. However while you are in the US you can receive text (unofficially).

When you are in the US you just turn your data on also roaming.. and you should be set.. it is simplest with the $60 plan. There are some gotchas with roaming add ons.

Need Help? Let's chat.