cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Roaming

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile: Will there ever be any international roaming packages offered, beyond just the US?

Also, curious what people do when travelling abroad but for extended periods of time (more than their 10 day packages)? Do you get a local SIM card or do something else?

17 REPLIES 17

rockyon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

that's okay guys, PM is currently the most suitable for me and it's affordable for me

I hope PM will implement roaming feature in the future, like 1 day roaming is fine just to unlock 2 step authentication from bank, online account etc.

All the best 

@softech wrote:

@Nezgar 

can i use one authenticator app  for all these web sites?  or each one might have a different required one?  I am hoping to install just 1 if possible.

Yes - you pick any ONE of those authenticator apps, and you can register as many sites as you want within that app. I have probably 20+ entires including all the accounts I use for work, using the one MS authenticator app myself. The MS authenticator app has an option to backup to your personal microsoft account (outlook.com etc) but other apps like Google Authenticator, Authy, Lastpass probably have their own backup methods as well.

For most sites it's still good to make sure you have a backup way to get in if you lose your phone or something... Either phone call, SMS, or phone call to your home number. Facebook for example also provides 8 or so one time "backup codes" which you can keep in your wallet or something that will get you in if you lose access to the app.

@Nezgar 

can i use one authenticator app  for all these web sites?  or each one might have a different required one?  I am hoping to install just 1 if possible.

Try to get away from multi-factor authentication using SMS... Most reputable sites offering this (other than Canadian banks...) support an authentication app. The app on your phone generates a TOTP "Temporal One Time Password" which is a 6-digit code, and it changes every 30 seconds. Once setup, the app no longer even needs internet access and can work completely offline.

You can setup this type of additional authentication (Instead of SMS) on sites like:

• PayPal
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instragram
  • Microsoft outlook, O365

Most of the apps use the same system where you scan a QR code for each site to register it into your app. Some example apps are: Google authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, Authy, Lastpass. MS authenticator also has one-touch push authorization for MS accounts, Google authenticator probably similar for google, but otherwise you can use any service with the 6-digit codes.

Canadian banks (at least the ones I deal with: CIBC, BMO) allow authorization by phone call as well as SMS, so that is easier to forward to a VoIP calling app like TextNow so you can receive those calls from anywhere. Or just register that number directly with the bank as well as one of the numbers to reach you at. They have to support this, otherwise how does the bank verify someone with only a home phone line that doesn't support SMS? 😉

@rockyon 

If you can recieve verification codes by phone call then you have the option of either suspending your service via lost/stolen before midnight eastern on the evening before renewal to keep your voicemail active. You can then call your voicemail from another phone number to retrieve voicemail messages.

Or you can downgrade to the $15 plan and call forward your pm number to your fongo number and recieve calls and your voicemail thru fongo to recieve verification codes. Your pm sim card must remain in Canada. If you leave it with a trustworthy person you could also arrange with them to put your sim card in a phone to recieve SMS verification codes and pass the codes along to you.

Seeing as you can often get a local sim with a month's worth of calling/texting and 3+gb of data for $13...1 day's worth of telus' easy roam service you have to consider your options. Easy roam is capped at $180 per month plus your plan cost that you are accessing for service. Plus any overages or extra fees. Telus $180+$40( plan?)=$220 or $13+$0 or $13+$13 (min. pm plan) =$26  Pm+a local sim is 5% to 10% of the cost of an easy roam plan. 

That $200 in savings is a good bottle of wine everday for 30 days in Europe. It all depends where or what you want to spend your holiday "mad" money on?🍷😃

@rockyon   if you are in US, you can get the US roaming and that is the only country PM support Roaming.

if you need roaming a lot in other country, consider joining Koodo or Telus.

rockyon

It's not about outgoing calls yes i can buy local sim card etc.., i am struggling a lot right now, when i need to open my bank account i had to call them to unlock because my phone doesn't work outside Canada. And lots of other accounts like instagram they require phone number to login (2-step verification) because they detect change of IP address location, and receive calls from friends / coworkers who don't have whatsapp. I don't mind paying expensive like telus easy roam 13$ / day

SMH

@rockyon  yes, you are right.. PM only offer US roaming at this point.    If roaming in other country is absolutely needed, especially for SMS like 2FA, I guess this PM is not the choice.

If all you want is able to have Mobile data or able to make phone calls and just text with friends, a local SIM card while travelling + VoIP number will be a better choice and cheaper solution.

rockyon

i would like this feature as well since i travel quite a lot. Other low cost mobile service like Chatr, freedom mobile etc they have international roaming option. Some banks require phone number verification

Ridiculous

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Very interesting points you bring up about "Roam Easy" and most people I know avoid it.  I know a couple people who actually prefer to use it because it's completely transparent and easy - no troubles of local SIM cards, etc... they just power up their phone in any country they visit and it's good to go.  These people travel a lot and care more about other things than their monthly bill... clearly, not Public Mobile customers!  🙂

@helenhelen 

One other idea, is to get a SIM card that specializes in travel/international roaming.  There are a few out there, and if you travel a lot, may be beneficial so you don't have a catalogue of SIM cards that you have to travel and plan when you bounce between countries back to back.

@darlicious   ..when you say "PM is perfect for international roaming when travelling..", and then you tell me $9/day for US and $13/day for international.. i thought I missed the new offering from PM..   

haha.. i have to read it twice to understand you are giving the rate of Telus Easy Roam.. or Telus Easy to waste all your money Roam. .LoL.

@softech 

PM is perfect for international roaming when travelling....you can't be tempted to use easy roam from telus. Priced at $9/day for the US and $13/day for international destinations they nicely cap them at $120 and $180 per month to use your own plan that you pay on top of the roaming rates.

Compare those rates with UK providers offering a free sim card and unlimited calling, texting ahd data buckets of 6-10gb for £10. Other plans from the European Continent with data bucketd ranging from 20-50gb with free calling and texting for €15.

You can get an entire month's plan for the price of roaming one day on your own plan!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I guess it has to do with contracts agreement with other countries and this probably cost for PM to setup.

If you look around,  all Tier 3 providers are like that...  in fact Lucky does not even offer US roaming.. so PM customers are luckier than Lucky customers  🙂

So, you travel a lot and need roaming, any Tier 3 shouldn't be a your choice.

But.. as mentioned by @darlicious , it's cheaper to get local SIM .. i would say it's cheaper and EASIER too.     If you just need it for phone calls.. get a VoIP number.   If you need the SMS for 2FA, consider changing to Authenticator app if possible.  

@helenhelen 

It is infinitely cheaper to get a local sim card with exception of a few countries around the world will you pay anything close to what we pay for mobile service. As I mentioned in another thread in your situation call forwarding your pm number to a fongo number and getting a local or international sim card with a cheap data plan and/or using free wifi will give you plenty of options to be connected while travelling.

Here's a good guide to read about local sim cards when travelling....

https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-local-sim-cards/

sunflowershine

@helenhelen PM provides roaming for the States only.

@helenhelen wrote:

Public Mobile: Will there ever be any international roaming packages offered, beyond just the US?

Also, curious what people do when travelling abroad but for extended periods of time (more than their 10 day packages)? Do you get a local SIM card or do something else?

This might never happen. Telus has other plan offerings that includes roaming other than the U.S.  With repeated targetted promotions to get customers to switch to Koodo, I believe that Telus would rather have customers switch to that brand. 

BlueB

@helenhelen 

Good question... nobody really knows, as the decision is made up the food chain.  Realistically, it's unlikely because Public Mobile is a third tier provider and not something they likely want to get into.

As for travelling abroad, there are lots of options for local SIM cards.  Depending on where you go and how you like to travel, sometimes a local data hotspot will be good enough.  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.