cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent MMS

cell44
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Newly signed up. iPhone SE 2020.Single  written texts send and receive fine. Group texts I can send but not receive. mms is on , iMessages is on. apn  setting says isp.mb.com.    cell data option is lte . I turned on data. restarted phone. Everything worked for a few minutes. Not it is back to not receiving pictures or group texts.  I left data on but did not use date. Today I get a message saying I have almost used up all of my data. Frustrating to not get full mms service and to see my data sucked away. I sent in a ticket but never heard from them. What should I do?

11 REPLIES 11

@cell44 wrote:

My account says I have used a lot of data. iPhones in group except one android. I prefer to use iMessage so I will try your hard restart method. Thanks.

You are sending via iMessae, which you prefer, so it is actually using Mobile Data

if you send everything back in MMS, then it will not actually consume you data

cell44

I had mms setting turned on already. Thanks

cell44

My account says I have used a lot of data. iPhones in group except one android. I prefer to use iMessage so I will try your hard restart method. Thanks.

cell44

Calls in and out working.sms texts working.browsing working on wifi and if I use data. MMS in -only sometimes. out-never. Transferred number in and everything worked with old SIM card. Not sure what you mean about about the Apple ID. The apple App Store recognizes my device and account.

Cubanmonkey

I’d double check to see if your data is turned on - try connecting to wifi and send an iMessage a long one to see if it works on wifi 

also try to do a hard shut down and I restart 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@cell44 

I think this has something to do on your setting. Just go to Settings>Messages>enable iMessage>enable Send as SMS>enable MMS Messaging. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@cell44 

Go to Settings and select Messages. Find the SMS/MMS section and tap on Group Messaging to activate.

Tap again to switch off and on Group Messaging.

@Korth  - but that would only be an issue if there are androids in the group message or rather being the sender, wouldn't it?

EDIT: actually, i have been the sender to a group (using android) of mixed iphone and android. Both recipients received it. Not sure what setting the iphone had on though.

iMessage is on.

That's the whole problem right there. iMessage provides enhanced features on top of standard SMS and MMS protocols, they require a constant data connection and they're routed through Apple's cloud machinery instead of the usual network SMSC/MMSC machinery.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@cell44 wrote:

Newly signed up. iPhone SE 2020.Single  written texts send and receive fine. Group texts I can send but not receive. mms is on , iMessages is on. apn  setting says isp.mb.com.    cell data option is lte . I turned on data. restarted phone. Everything worked for a few minutes. Not it is back to not receiving pictures or group texts.  I left data on but did not use date. Today I get a message saying I have almost used up all of my data. Frustrating to not get full mms service and to see my data sucked away. I sent in a ticket but never heard from them. What should I do?

@cell44  - well firstly, confirm what you DO have left for data by logging into your Self Serve account and seeing if any line item is showing under My Data and Addon section under the Overiew TAB.

This would be the most accurate usage of what is remaining.

As receiving group messages, are these from other iphone users, or are their androids in the mix?

Ensure:

iMessage is on

Data is on

SMS is on

MMS is on

If you turn your data off occasionally, then it is recommended to turn off iMessage altogether and use regular text messaging instead.

To do this, go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage off.

If you prefer to use iMessage, then you can perform the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Connect to the internet using WiFi or Data.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage OFF.
  3. Turn your iPhone off completely, then turn it back on.
  4. Go back into Settings > Messages and toggle iMessage ON.
  5. Make sure “Send as SMS” is also turned ON.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cell44 : Intermittent? Or not working? So lets review... calls in/out? Real SMS texts in/out (ie. not connected to wifi or cell data)? Browsing the internet? MMS in/out? Group in/out? (I think you've mentioned a few of these)

Did you transfer a number or pick up a new one?

Does your Apple ID and account know about your new device?

Need Help? Let's chat.