cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming texts going to different number.

devbar74
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Some of my text messages are going to a different phone number. The number it is going to is one of my other Public Mobile accounts. The only way they are connected is through email address. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

23 REPLIES 23

@devbar74   happy that it is now resolved!!!

devbar74

Thank you. I got it figured out.

devbar74

Thank you. I now know it is an iphone problem. I got it figured out.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@devbar74   In case this is because Apple iMessage has your number registered to another phone, you can check and/or remove the link by visiting this page:

Deregister phone from iMessage:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

On android, disable RCS / chat features. On my phone at least, its in the messages app, settings, chat features, and ensure the setting is OFF

See how things go after that.

HI @devbar74   Yes, that is the reason.  If you want to receive the text in Android, you have to ask the other party to send via Text or you have to deregister your iMessage with that phone number/email

devbar74

It was an imessage. It was linked to my email. Not my phone number.

and @devbar74 , what colour is the message you got on the iPhone now? Blue or Green? can you post a screenshot?

• Blue bubble is for iMessage.
    The text entry field displays iMessage and requires a valid Apple ID.
  • Green bubble is for SMS/MMS.
    Text entry field displays Text Message and requires a messaging plan.

@devbar74 wrote:

Android

@devbar74  - okay, so the iphone SHOULD NOT be getting any communications for that phone number then.

It must be linked to the phone number somehow.

To start - Perform a Reset of your device's Network Settings on the iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

IF still issues try @Dunkman suggestions and see if you can deregister the iphone number from the apple link provided. 

And ensure the iphone's phone number is set up properly on the device.

Sometimes the duo or whatsapp app can make more that one device react. Check that as well.

devbar74

Yes nothing has changed.

devbar74

Android

@devbar74 wrote:

They are going to iphone. Both have been the same for over a year.

HI @devbar74   Both phones have different phone numbers for over a year?

@devbar74 wrote:

@devbar74  which phone (android or iphone) is the correct phone number?

devbar74

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@devbar74  - If you moved that number from the iphone to the android, your iphone number is still registered with the previous number is my guess.

Deregister the number on the iphone: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Set up your phone number On your iPhone:

1. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage is on. You might need to wait a moment for it to activate.
  2. Tap Send & Receive. If you see “Use your Apple ID for iMessage,” tap it and sign in with the same Apple ID that you use on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch.
  3. In the "You can receive iMessages" section, make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected.
  4. Go to Settings > FaceTime and make sure that your phone number and Apple ID are selected in the "You can be reached by FaceTime at" section.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @devbar74   try sending 2 text from https://www.bulksms.com/test/  , one to your Android number , the other is to your iPhone number.  I think it will work without issue.  Try it and let us know

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@devbar74 wrote:

Some of my text messages are going to a different phone number. The number it is going to is one of my other Public Mobile accounts. The only way they are connected is through email address. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

HI@devbar74   Are both numbers going to Android or iPhone?

Was one of them just changed from Android into iPhone or iPhone into Android?

devbar74

I can text the person I am trying to contact.  When they text me back it goes to the other number. There is no way that person has the other number. It is only a couple of numbers it is happening to.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @devbar74   how about try to send test sms  to both numbers via this test site?

https://www.bulksms.com/test/

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @devbar74 

So, when you text 2 different numbers, they both go to the Android phones or both go to the iPhones?

Could it be when the person try to send the message,  he/she pick to send from the Contact ?    Instead of pick from the contact, try to type in the Phone number and send see how it goes.  The sender could have both number under the same Contact and somehow the phone select the same number (or the Contact saved with wrong number)

devbar74

One phone is android the other is iphone.  Plus the message is only going to one phone.

devbar74

I understand they are separate accounts. I have two email accounts. That is the only common thing between the phones. That is why I am confused. One phone is android the other is an iphone.

@devbar74 

Are you using iPhone?  iMessages?  

If you are using iMessages, your Apple ID may be connected  via email address on two phones.  Go to your iMessage settings and logout the email from one of the phones. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@devbar74 wrote:

Some of my text messages are going to a different phone number. The number it is going to is one of my other Public Mobile accounts. 

HI @devbar74   that sounds impossible.    Maybe you can explain a bit more?

The only way they are connected is through email address.

PM account is one unique email address for one PM Account/Phone number   You cannot have 2 accounts using the same email address , not sure what you meant by they are connect through email address

Need Help? Let's chat.