cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI - For those porting in and having issues.

WongoBongoooooo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got off the line with a member of the TELUS port team.

If you're having issues porting your number, and you submitted your port in using your phone's IMEI rather than your account number, that could be why.  The IMEI will only work if it was from a device that your provider sold/provided you. If you're using a BYOD phone the IMEI will not work and you will need to contact TELUS to have them resubmit the port in request.  

You should then get the confirmation text from your provider, if you don't get the confirmation text you should get another Public Mobile and need to repeat the submission again. 

I would suggest to the Public Mobile team to add a tooltip to the signin process advising customers NOT to use the IMEI for phones that were not provided to you by your provider for the phone number you're porting. 

Also, in my case I was not able to use my account number, it was too short. 
My account number is a 7 digit number the system expects a 9 digit code, I was told they'll be trying it with leading zeros, so if you're having issues via the portal that could work too. 

9 REPLIES 9

WongoBongoooooo

You'll have to contact Public Mobile to have them submit a new port request. 

maggie8
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

wish i knew this before i requested transfer i use the ime number now i have no calls coming in  i contacted my old provider to allow public mobile to transfer my number  i hope that works  anyone know?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@WongoBongoooooo 

Great information. This will help other members using the IMEI to port over to PM.

@WongoBongoooooo wrote:

If you're having issues porting your number, and you submitted your port in using your phone's IMEI rather than your account number, that could be why.  The IMEI will only work if it was from a device that your provider sold/provided you. If you're using a BYOD phone the IMEI will not work and you will need to contact TELUS to have them resubmit the port in request.  

You should then get the confirmation text from your provider, if you don't get the confirmation text you should get another Public Mobile and need to repeat the submission again. 

I would suggest to the Public Mobile team to add a tooltip to the signin process advising customers NOT to use the IMEI for phones that were not provided to you by your provider for the phone number you're porting. 

Also, in my case I was not able to use my account number, it was too short. 
My account number is a 7 digit number the system expects a 9 digit code, I was told they'll be trying it with leading zeros, so if you're having issues via the portal that could work too. 

Thanks for providing this insight.  For the above, there are some additional considerations.

The IMEI shouldn't necessarily be of the device sold by the carrier.  It needs to be the IMEI of the device that was most recently used on the old carrier's account.  

When it comes to repeating the submission again if not receiving the authorization text message from the old carrier, I'm uncertain what it mean by "get another Public Mobile", but a new Public Mobile account shouldn't be opened, and a new Public Mobile SIM card isn't required.  Also, the part about the part about "repeat the submission again", it's important to note that the process wouldn't be the same as the first time. A customer cannot simply repeat the process to try again.  A Public Mobile customer support agent needs to get involved.

Unfortuantely, Public Mobile wouldnt' be able to say to not use the IMEI.  Generally, you're right that the IMEI shouldn't be used, but as with your situation, there are times that it actually should be used.  There's also the case of Ztar Mobile brands such as Speakout and Petro Canada that don't use account numbers.  IMEI is actually the proper account identfication to be used in those cases, regardless of where the device came from.

BDoCouto

My IMEI, but it was my eSIM one not the other one.

WongoBongoooooo

When you submitted your port request did you use your account number or your phone's IEMI?

BDoCouto

My phone was BYOD and I was able to get confirmation email from my current provider. But I did get a notice from PM saying that there was and issue transferring it so now i'm dealing with that.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @WongoBongoooooo 

thanks for the info.  It's useful

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@WongoBongoooooo  Thanks for sharing . That’s certainly helpful info 

Need Help? Let's chat.