cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to receive texts while in Mexico.

JamesAnon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I currently only have the $15 plan. What add on do I need to receive texts while in Mexico?

Only need to receive texts

Please help

17 REPLIES 17

JamesAnon

It's working and all good

Thanks

JamesAnon

Perfect, it's working and all good

Thanks so much

Ben_01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@JamesAnon you'll need to log into her Public Mobile self serve account and change the SIM to the new one you have now . Let us know how it works out. 

@JamesAnon change it in the self serve account don't activate it. restart the phone and install the sim

change pass,sim,number~2.jpeg

JamesAnon

Ok I have the new sim card. Do I need to activate it first before I go into her account and change the sim card? Or does it do that automatically when I change the old sim card with the new one on her account.

Your help is much appreciated

@Ben_01 

Anytime you change SIM cards with Public Mobile, or let your service expire longer than 90 days, the old one is deactivated and cannot be used again. From that point forward just use the new one.

I believe this is true for many carriers nowadays, where they don't allow reactivating previously used SIMs...

The only exception to this rule I've seen at Public Mobile is in the case of someones account being hacked and a fraudulent sim swap - the moderators have been able to reinstate the original SIM.

Ben_01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Nezgar Are you saying that old SIM number will be blocked indefinitely, or could it be activated again in the future?

JamesAnon

That's great. Thanks so much

@JamesAnon  Yes you've got it! Her number will become fully functional in whatever phone you put the new SIM into. The old SIM cannot be re-used afterwards.

JamesAnon

If I understand you correctly if I buy a new PM Sim card, then log into her account and change to the new sim card number it will still have her existing phone number?

If so this could be the solution. Please confirm

And thanks so much

@JamesAnon wrote:

Here is my problem. I have power of attorney on my wife's bank account but her phone number needs a text verification for me to enter her account. If her public mobile number cannot receive a text that I can get from her and enter the verification I cannot access her account. She went to Mexico and with new travel restrictions cannot return for the forseeable future. I desperately need to manage her account. If I get talk to Mexico or internationally does it include text?

OK... well, since your wife's Public Mobile SIM is non-functional in Mexico anyway - you can work around this by purchasing a *NEW* Public Mobile SIM, logging into her self-serve account, and changing to the new SIM card number. Then you can place that SIM into a phone in your possession in Canada to receive the texts, and any other functions of her Public Mobile service. When she eventually returns the new sim can be installed into her phone.

If you can wait a bit for it to come in the mail, the cheapest SIM's are from Canadian Cell Supplies, but you can also find them in many retail stores like Walmart, London Drugs SuperStore mobile shop, etc. Or you can order from Public Mobile directly.

Then in the mean time, she can use a VoIP app like TextNow of Fongo Mobile to make calls/texts over Wi-Fi, or use a local mexico SIM.

@Triguy wrote:

All plans $15 and up have unlimited international texting.  You can purchase a $15 add-on for 300 international minutes which includes Mexico.

Only while the user is in Canada, not if the user is in Mexico.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power of attorney gives you everything. She wouldn't even need to be in the loop.

But are you saying her phone number is attached to her account for text verification purposes? Then change it. You have the PoA.

Or she can get a local service or use TextNow on her phone there and you can change the number to that new number using the PoA and she can reply back.

Or can she log in to the bank account and change the number on the account?

You can text to anywhere. You would need a calling add-on to call her. You can also use TextNow here and call and text.

PM only offers roaming in the US.  You could buy a local sim or use Wi-Fi apps like Textnow or WhatsApp.

JamesAnon

Here is my problem. I have power of attorney on my wife's bank account but her phone number needs a text verification for me to enter her account. If her public mobile number cannot receive a text that I can get from her and enter the verification I cannot access her account. She went to Mexico and with new travel restrictions cannot return for the forseeable future. I desperately need to manage her account. If I get talk to Mexico or internationally does it include text?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JamesAnon : None. You could use a voip app like TextNow. Otherwise you'll need local service.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JamesAnon wrote:

I currently only have the $15 plan. What add on do I need to receive texts while in Mexico?

Only need to receive texts

Please help

@JamesAnon hi sorry no add on available for Mexico

Need Help? Let's chat.