cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to change my current number but I want to keep it and transfer to another provider.

AlexFr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there. I'd like to change my current phone number but I want to keep this number and transfer it to another provider. Can you please walk me through the steps involved in doing this?

9 REPLIES 9

@AlexFr wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion but it doesn't work for my case. I want to keep my current PM account as well.

What you are trying to do was an exeptional good will practice on a case by case practice a decade ago. Public Mobile has long since stopped the loophole. It just can't be done.

What is so special about your current account that makes you want to keep it? If it's the old rewards program... you have a max of two renewals with $$ discounts, they will be gone as of May 2024. Unless you have a huge amount of referrals (which might or might not stay when their plans are costing them full price), you could just port out and start from scratch with the same benefits that your old account would soon be subjected to as well. Actually, if you sign up with a new account you have access to some better plans that existing customers can't access.

Why not take a new number at the new provider? You can always forward your calls to that number?

AlexFr

I'm aware of that, and that's why I'm asking if there is a way to change my current number, keep my PM account and old number on any other SIM card, or even with any other provider.

@AlexFr 

it's not going to work as once you port old number to somewhere else, that will deactivate your current acct.

HI @AlexFr 

there is no such thing with PM.  And from what I know there is no such thing with other carrier, too

where you try to port the number to?

AlexFr

Thank you for your reply. I heard that if you change your current phone number then you have 48 hours to get your old number with any provider but there is no chance of getting confirmation by SMS because the number is already unassigned from the SIM card

HI @AlexFr 

your number pretty much tie with your PM account 

are you trying to port into Koodo or Telus?

AlexFr

Thank you for your suggestion but it doesn't work for my case. I want to keep my current PM account as well.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@AlexFr 

you'd have to port your current number to new provider...then start a brand new PM account with a diff email address and take a new number.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

sorry @AlexFr , you cannot really do that

once you change the number to a new one, the old one will be gone.  

or some  people thing you can port out first, but once ported is done, the account is closed

So, no way to do that.  sorry

Need Help? Let's chat.