cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 2 IMEI numbers. Which one to use when porting my number from another carrier

HuronBob
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Please Help.

I just signed up my wife for PM and have activated the account. Now I am trying to port her old number from a Bell sim card to PM. The self serve system asks for the IMEI number but I don't know which one to use. The IMEI number from the Public Mobile sim card or the IMEI from the Bell sim. They are both in the phone at the moment and both arer active.

16 REPLIES 16

HuronBob

OK  everyone, my problem is solved. I contacted the porting team and was told that I neede to provide the account number. I gave them the account number and was told that it was not the right account number. . . ? ? ? They gave me yet another number to call to get the correct account number. Did that and they gave me the account number for the number I was trying to port. That number by the way has now been ported at least 3 times and the account number given was from our original cell phone account that we started with years ago. Back to the porting team. I gave him the original account number and I was told that one works! Problem is that 4 hours later, my wifes phone still had the activation number. I tried everything to no avail and finally did a factory reset on the phone. Now, that worked! Everything is now the way it was meant to be. Thanks to everyone for their collective help.

@HuronBob   

call someone else call you and you can hear?

can your wife call others and the other can hear?

try reboot both the phones and see if that resolves the problem

if still not, on both phones, try reseating the sim cards (Power off, take sim card out for a min, then put it back and power on)

If still does not work, try to swap the sim cards between the two phones  What it will do is to force reprovision of the sim cards/accounts and that could resolve the problem

HuronBob

Okay something wierd is going on. My wife can call me from the ported number but I can't call her. I can text her on the ported number but when she texts me the phone number shows as the number used to activate the phone.

@HuronBob 

you sure incoming calls and text work? that is critical for porting

and you sure you are testing tradition text/sms and not iMessage or RCS?

Try to reboot the phone once more time

If that does not work, another ticket for PM support

🙂

HuronBob

@Handy1  and @softech      I called the number, they saw the phone number that I had activated, they ported that number to the one we wanted but there is still a bit of a problem. My wife can call my number and I can call her  number. I can text her but when she texts me, the text appears to be from the number that we originally activated, not the number we ported to

@HuronBob   Call the number I sent you to see if they see the request

check the credit card to see if PM charged you yet

and put your PM sim in a phone to see if it connects

Let us know what you see and will advise further from there

HuronBob

Will do!

@HuronBob @Try the number and let us know if there anything else we can try to help with 

HuronBob

According to SIMon, he says  "

• Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until you have responded to this message. " Since this is the message that I got from the bot, I assume that was the IMEI that the porting agent would be looking for and the one I gave. I will also give the number a call. I have to admit that I have not been waiting very long for all this to take place. I just thought that I may have made a mistake somewhere in the process. Thank you all so much for your very speedy replies

@HuronBob   I will also send you a phone number, you can call and talk to live support instead, they will advise if they receive the porting request  

Please check your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) for my message

@HuronBob   if it is still spinning, do NOT try to close the activate again

I would wait another 5 mins before closing the browser

Then put the PM sim card in an phone to see if it connects

Also, check your Credit card and see if PM took the money yet

Let us know what you see and we can advise further from there

HuronBob

OK Great, Ill give these links a try. Thanks for your assistance and I'll let you know how I make out here.

@HuronBob   do not use IMEI as it usually gives error

Login to Bell and get the account number and provide the Bell account number instead.  It has LESS error when you provide account number

@HuronBob @You might need to submit a ticket with a agent to help further in this case 

Getting help from agent , through automation

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get started.      

Or  get direct help from a agent right here in the community ( my preferred choice )

• Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work

HuronBob

Unfortunately, I already submitted the IMEI from the Bell carrier and my request seems to be spinning in circles. Can I cancel this and submit the account number instead or just sit back and wait.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@HuronBob @You can just choose to use her account number aswell , you don’t really need to use the IMEI 

Need Help? Let's chat.