cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't make or receive calls...text and data work...I am in the USA and my plan includes roaming

paddy1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

12 REPLIES 12

smp999
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just have to ask. 

Do you have roaming turned on for Public Mobile SIM? It has to be on.

@hTideGnow I wonder if it's an iPhone thing? I've never had an android automatically connect to Verizon where Public Mobile is the service provider.

hi @ejohan Verizon is not a PM. roaming partner

Phone usually picks the strongest signal, so I always use manual network selection when I travel 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Verizon is not a roaming partner for PM. Only T-Mobile and AT&T work, but AT&T 5G does not. Configure your connection settings accordingly.

@ejohan  It is AT&T that is problematic on 5G.  Public Mobile has two roaming partners in the USA, AT&T and T-Mobile.  Although sometimes phones automatically pick Verizon, there is no roaming agreement with Verizon which is why it didn't work.

ejohan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m currently in the US, and 5G is working on T-Mobile. But it didn't work on AT&T, only LTE. However, Verizon didn’t work at all, and that was the network my phone had initially automatically picked. 

I have a 5G Canada-US plan with Public. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Change to 4G preferred on your device. 5G AT&T doesn't work.

Edit: Just realized you said text and data work. It's probably a lack of VoLTE, as @fixin mentioned. What phone are you using? The US no longer has a 3G network to make calls on, so without a VoLTE phone you can't make calls (unless you manage to find a 2G T-Mobile connection).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @paddy1 

Which phone are you currently using while in the US? That may help a bit more to understand and help you.

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@paddy1 - Most likely your phone isn't VoLTE compatible on PM SIM. Manually switch to T-Mobile and chose 2G / EDGE / GSM and that will make the Data speed slower but be able to make calls and send texts.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@paddy1 

You can try to manually select either T mobile or AT&T.  Choose LTE (instead of 5G).  Enable roaming. 

If that does not work, reboot phone.  Or network reset of phone (this will erase any saved Wifi settings). 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/us-roaming-troubleshooting

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@paddy1 

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @paddy1 

are you connected to T-Mobile or AT&T?  if not, try to manually connect to them and test.

Also, turn off 5G, use 4G

Need Help? Let's chat.