cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get verification codes for banking

Maggie913
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just switched from Virgin to Public Mobile last week. I can receive sms messages from people but can't get verification codes or call verifications for banking to my new phone. Help please.

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @Maggie913 

how many days you are with PM ?  If within 7 days, it is not a concern.   It will come in the next couple days

Maggie913
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes...I can call/send/receive call or text from my friends, but just not receiving text or calls from financial institutions for 2fa verification. 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Maggie913   You mentioned not getting call verifications for banking, but are you able to receiving incoming phone calls generally?

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Maggie913 

Dull, boring, reliable financial institutions invariably use dull, boring, reliable plaintext SMS protocols for official things like 2FA logins.

If you use iMessage, RCS, Signal, etc then disable the enhanced features - the extra emotes and emojis, animations, sounds, encryptions, cloudsyncs, etc. There will be a setting somewhere which forces standing boring SMS protocol handling.

Also, enable data during the expected 2FA session. Just in case they send an MMS with some sort of tracking pixel or whatever in it. Some banks think their IT people are more clever than others.

You can turn the setting back to your preferences after you're done dealing with your 2FA needs.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Maggie913 

Since you  received  incoming calls and regular SMS (P2P) from friends, it is a good sign that porting was completed successfully

For 2FA text or other system generated text (A2P), it is normal for them to start coming later.   Systems take longer to find out you changed provider and to route the text correctly to the new provider (Public Mobile).    Also, financial institutions (banks) or government agencies (e.g, CRA)  put this delay on purpose too to avoid SIM Fraud

Usually they will start coming around the 3rd day after porting but it could take as many as 7 days for all the 2FA/A2P text to come.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Maggie913 

Banks has special procedure to avoid fraud and 2FA code will come couple days after porting.  This is normal

Need Help? Let's chat.