cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can make calls, but not use data

mhoye
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My phone can't seem to get a data connection or send texts? I'm not sure what's going on; I've got a 6GB plan and the phone doesn't think I've used nearly that much, but I can't send SMS either. I've done the on-phone troubleshooting, and throwing a few bucks at an extra 200MB to see if that was the problem hasn't got me data or my SMS' back. What are my next steps?

13 REPLIES 13

@mhoye Sorry for this, but the brain  box just remembered one other procedure that has helped others with no service after full payment. To wit, 

1. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Suspend Service >> logout

2. login to your account >> Plan and Add-ons >> Lost/Stolen Phone >> click Resume Service >> logout

3. wait a few minutes, reboot your phone and check for service

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@mhoye I have a rather long checklist for this issue. You may want to give some, or none, of them a try while you are waiting for the modearors; apologies for not deleting the ones you have already attempted. Robot Embarassed

- cellular data turned on?

- confirm data is included in your plan and not used up (if you can't see data under Data & add-ons it's all been used)

- if dual sim use LTE/3G slot

- is it all apps that use data or just the browser not connecting?

- toggle airplane mode off/on

- remove sim for 5 minutes, then install and reboot

- go to settings, then general-profile and delete any profiles; details for iPhones here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323130/highlight/true#M24565

- check network is not set to 2G; use auto, 3G, or LTE

- check for operating system updates

- APN settings correct Public Mobile giffgaff

- delete current APN, and re-enter settings

- remove any VPNs

- reset all network settings; you will need to add back wifi passwords after that.

- try sim in another phone and a good sim in your phone

- phone make/model?

- LAST desperate measure when all else fails; erase all data and restore phone to factory settings

On the SMS issue, another forum I monitor suggests the following cure: 

• Go to Settings

• Then go to Mobile networks and select a network other than Public Mobile, Telus, or Koodo

• When you exit the menu the phone should lose the network.

• Repeat the process and select Public Mobile as your mobile network.

This procedure will force the update of the message centre number. You can verify it in your message settings.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mhoye

Mod team it is. Thank you all for your help.

@mhoye  a écrit :

To clarify: these settings are correct per both the documentation and by comparing the phone that isn't working to the second phone next to it, with a different public mobile account, that is working correctly. Thank you all for asking me to check the phone, but I did not change the settings on this phone when this stopped working as of about a week ago.

If nothing help you need to write a message to the moderator for more help here...https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 give them details of your problem and be patient waiting time is few hours to 2 days.

@mhoye  a écrit :

To clarify: these settings are correct per both the documentation and by comparing the phone that isn't working to the second phone next to it, with a different public mobile account, that is working correctly. Thank you all for asking me to check the phone, but I did not change the settings on this phone when this stopped working as of about a week ago.

Alright ...did you try the bad sim in the good phone and the good sim in the "bad" phone?

mhoye

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@mhoye for your SMS..I have read this for the settings...the SMSC number for Public Mobile is 16475800172. Can you see the settings for SMSC in your phone? 

@mhoye  a écrit :

They're correct, and they're unchanged as of a few days ago when this stopped working.

Ok.. which plan do you have?

mhoye

They're correct, and they're unchanged as of a few days ago when this stopped working.

DB298CD9-1482-40FF-A0E7-5CD6F54D092E.png

@mhoye  a écrit :

I've reset the network settings, and the APN settings are correct.

Like that???

mhoye

I've reset the network settings, and the APN settings are correct.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@mhoye  a écrit :

My phone can't seem to get a data connection or send texts? I'm not sure what's going on; I've got a 6GB plan and the phone doesn't think I've used nearly that much, but I can't send SMS either. I've done the on-phone troubleshooting, and throwing a few bucks at an extra 200MB to see if that was the problem hasn't got me data or my SMS' back. What are my next steps?

You can check your APN settings for your data..here...https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi There,

What kind of phone do you have?

Have you tried resetting your network settings?

Need Help? Let's chat.