cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get text messages if one goes aboard for 1-2 months?

p-ch
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As most of people living in Canada are immigrants and they do need to go to their native countries once in a while, in such cases how to get text messages for OTP.

Please let me know what option are available.

Thanks,

P-CH

4 REPLIES 4

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Most of people living in Canada? 

So 20,000,000+ … wow!  I did not know that.

Time for Public Mobile to recognize this and make its plans international !!!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@p-ch 

PM has no roaming serivce other than US 

It is best not to use SMS for 2FA if you anticipate to leave Canada for extended time and you need those 2FA code.  Ask the banks if they other you authenticator app as a choice, if not, use email (please note authenticator app is safer than email)

Also, although VoIP app with another phone number allows you to receive sms, but most VoIP app cannot receive 2FA codes

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

My method always has been to get a SIM card from that country and use it there (I go to a particular country every year). This I found to be the most reliable way. Roaming and stuff can fail sometimes or has issues. If you are spending time in one particular country or visit that particular country regularly having a dedicated SIM in that country is most often the easiest way I find.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@p-ch 

I would suggest you download WhatsApp but they have to be in your contact list and use your existing PM number or download TextNow app and pick a secondary number but you need to upgrade to a plan to get OTP.

Both are free for calling and texting around the world when connected to wifi. 

Need Help? Let's chat.