cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get individual login and password for Self Served acc type.

pmuse
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

My older sibling got me into Public mobile and he set it up in a way that I have to use his login and password info to log into the Public Mobile phone app. I don't feel comfortable since I know he can view my calling history, etc. 

I was going to cancel my Public Mobile account and re-sign up with Public Mobile, but someone told me not to do so since doing so would deactivate my existing phone number (that I have been using for several years) and I will lose this phone number altogether!

So, I am wondering, how can I get my own login and password info and, how do I do so?

26 REPLIES 26

@Luddite wrote:

@HALIMACS  Validating a ticket for submission, is the only requirement to change username; and anything else as well (PIN for example).

Thanks @Luddite .    Makes sense - if the verification is successful, then PM's systems/Mod's would deem the 'customer' is making the request.

@HALIMACS  Validating a ticket for submission, is the only requirement to change username; and anything else as well (PIN for example).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Thanks @Luddite 

That is interesting - so all it takes is for someone else to know someone's username and password and they are then considered to be the account owner?

Surprised public mobile does not view the holder of the activated SIM card to be the account or service holder.

Having never changed a self-serve username, is it really that easy to do?

Does public mobile send, or attempt to send, an email to the original registered user to approve the change?

On a prepaid service, I don't think there is much an issue about ownership of the account.  We can easily change name and address on the Self-Serve account after logon.  If I remember correctly, I don't think an email change would need a validation from the original email holder.

Some countries do impose strict rules for prepaid services for legal reason, I don't think it is the case in Canada.

@HALIMACS A PM account is owned by whoever controls the username and password.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@pmuse 

Have you asked your older sibling to assist in this process and are they amenable to it?  Presumably, this arrangement has some level of history which is between the two of you, and that should remain between the two of you.

@Anonymous @RosieR  & @hTideGnow 

I understand what this OP is looking to do, however it does raise an interesting discussion point.

Who "technically" owns a Public Mobile account/service?   

Is it the person who:

• owns the initial e-mail address upon which the service was activated under
  • initially 'paid' for the service presumably with a credit card
  • purchased the SIM card to be activated
  • has been paying via auto-pay
  • had their number ported from another provider in THEIR name

Yes, these are mostly hypothetical type questions, however at the end of the day, if the OP in this thread cannot sufficiently verify the account nor access the current e-mail address, will they be permitted to change the username to their own e-mail address?

When doing a username change, does PM send this to the currently registered e-mail holder for approval beforehand, presuming the e-mail address is still valid?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pmuse wrote:

is the email address, used here in the community, visible to others at all?

Also, just curious, how's the rewards working for you... Getting any deduction on your monthly  bill?

1. No.

2. There are 4 kinds of reward here:

a. loyalty = $1 per term up to $5 after each calendar year.

b. autopay = $2 per term just for registering a payment card

c. referral = $1 per term per referral

d. community = up to $15 depending how much work you want to do here. It's not worth the time required if you're just after the reward. You have to want to help people and also have some social interaction

Edit: yes you can register some kind of payment card to then have autopay on to get that reward

pmuse

Once I change my email and password as you suggested, can't I also add my own Credit card  for the auto payment, instead of needing to getting monthly prepaid vouchers?

pmuse

is the email address, used here in the community, visible to others at all?

Also, just curious, how's the rewards working for you... Getting any deduction on your monthly  bill?

pmuse

It's ok. Thank you

pmuse

Thank you!

pmuse

Got it thanks!

@pmuse to reverse your action, please read my post above

RR

pmuse

You mean I can undo accepting the answer as Solution?

I clicked on the 3 dots..., but what do I click on to make that change?

@pmuse wrote:

Sorry! I mistakingly clicked on that "accept" reply, instead of the "reply...".

NO I am not underage! I am not under supervision, either!

I don't want to cancel and get a new number since everyone at work and elsewhere has my existing phone number and gettting a new number means I would have to update 750 people with a new phone number and I don't want to do that!

Can I reverse "accept" your answer as solution ?

@pmuse not to worry, happens to me too at times.  Go back to the post that you mistakenly chose as Accepted Solution, click the Accepted Solution , and it will reverse your action.

Too bad it was mine 😢

RosieR

@pmuse  yes, if you don't want a new number, the best bet is as i suggested, change your password in self-serve first and then submit ticket to change the email address

as to payment, you can continue to let the visa autopay the way it is, or you can get voucher or use Visa debit. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pmuse : Click on the 3 dots in the upper right of that post and you can undo it.

pmuse

Sorry! I mistakingly clicked on that "accept" reply, instead of the "reply...".

NO I am not underage! I am not under supervision, either!

I don't want to cancel and get a new number since everyone at work and elsewhere has my existing phone number and gettting a new number means I would have to update 750 people with a new phone number and I don't want to do that!

Can I reverse "accept" your answer as solution ?

you might want to consider paying by voucher or visa debit card if you want to be fully independent 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pmuse : You could buy vouchers to pay. You could buy those prepaid "credit" card gift cards and pay. If you are a minor then I'm not sure a prepaid service constitutes an adult contract. There's no credit check or even identification verification.

Get that account email address changed and remove your brothers payment card and you're on your own.

pmuse

He is paying for it using his credit card I guess and I pay him in person (cash) every month because I don't feel comfortable not paying!

Thank you for your response.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@pmuse wrote:

Hi,

My older sibling got me into Public mobile and he set it up in a way that I have to use his login and password info to log into the Public Mobile phone app. I don't feel comfortable since I know he can view my calling history, etc. 

I was going to cancel my Public Mobile account and re-sign up with Public Mobile, but someone told me not to do so since doing so would deactivate my existing phone number (that I have been using for several years) and I will lose this phone number altogether!

So, I am wondering, how can I get my own login and password info and, how do I do so?

Hi @pmuse are you underage or under the guidance or supervision of your older sibling?  Is your older sibling paying for your service?  if you say yes to any of those, then your older sibling owns this account and it was set up to keep an eye on you.

If you want to be independent then buy a new Public Mobile sim card and open your own account with a new number.  If you don't have a credit card to pay for your service, you can use a Public Mobile voucher or get a prepaid gift card but be aware that some gift cards don't work.

Have a great day

RosieR

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@pmuse , for simplicity and expediency, you can go into the self serve account and change the password.  

But then the other person could use the reset password link and have that email sent to them and change the password again.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@pmuse , for simplicity and expediency, you can go into the self serve account and change the password.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pmuse : You will need to contact the moderators to get the login id (email address) of the account changed. They need to be sure to change it in two places in their system. Then change it here in the community yourself to match that email address (case too) in case you might want to get community rewards applied to your account.

Who's paying for your account too? 🙂

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@pmuse   You can't really change a new logon currently associated with your SIM.  However, you can first change the password on Self-Serve

After that, you might want to open a ticket with Mod to request changing the email address to yours.  Please note that they will reply you and ask you some question to validate your account

To open a ticket with mod, click on the Bubble or directly at : https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html
Enter your question in SIMon. Follow the prompts until you reach the Contact Us button,

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the moderators (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.