cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine if phone is volte-compatible

krichardson100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying to determine if my phone (a Samsung A32 5G) is volte-compatible; I don't see a choice for volte under mobile networks, but I do see 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM.  I did successfully do the test of calling a local number with wifi turned off, seeing that the LTE indicator stayed on (which was the suggestion of another user).   Am I good?

6 REPLIES 6

@krichardson100 wrote:

Hi, IMS registration status is registered - which I think means I'm ok?

For the most part, customer do not need to be looking into such settings.  As you've already noticed, it's much simpler to make a phone call and see if the LTE connection is maintained during the phone call.

krichardson100

I wasn't able to bring up the hidden menu, but the mobile voice network type showed LTE during a voice call.

krichardson100

Hi, IMS registration status is registered - which I think means I'm ok?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @krichardson100 

A32 is not on PM's VoLTE whitelist.  

but you can check this

Go to About screen on the phone, click Status information, then click Sim card status., what is it showing for IMS Registration status?does it show registered or not?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@krichardson100 , the pixel phones also don't have a VoLTE setting.  Actually I found that it is not necessary to disable WiFi during a call to do the VoLTE check.  The phone should have separate mobile voice and mobile data connections.  Simply establish a call and check the SIM status during the call.  You want to see mobile voice network type showing LTE.  Another option to check VoLTE capability is to use the dialer pad to enter the following sequence *#*#4636#*#* which brings up a hidden menu.  Click on phone information, tap 3 dots in upper right corner, select IMS service status.  If voice over LTE is showing as available, you are good to go.  This latter option does not require a phone call to be in progress.  

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@krichardson100  You can test this , set phone to LTE and turn off wifi . Now make a phone call does it drop to 3G ? Or stay on LTE ? If it stays on LTE your phone /account has voLTE enabled 

Need Help? Let's chat.