cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block nuisance calls?

jackl1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm been receiving calls from others countries (Niger, Kenya, Madagascar, etc) that ring once and hang up.

Should I be concerned?

Is it possible to block calls from a list of countries or only accept calls from specific countries?

11 REPLIES 11

@Nezgar   thanks for the advise.  Will likely try it out

@softech Yeah I haven't had any issues with it for the 1.5+ years I've been using it. It even sends an email if someone calls and doesn't leave a message, along with their caller ID, which is a feature not available with regular PM voicemail if your phone is off/out of coverage area etc.

If you don't like it, a quick ##004# undoes it and back to PM voicemail. 🙂

@Nezgar  is YouMail reliable?  i was checking that the other day but haven't decide to register there yet

One thing that bugs me with the spam calls is when following the "Don't answer the calls" rule, you sometimes end up further annoyed by having to call in to delete useless voicemail messages.

You can avoid this by reconfiguring your conditional call forward for blocked and declined calls to go to a dead-end or Lenny as @softech mentioned 😁). I personally set all of my conditional call forwards to use the free YouMail voicemail service - so any messages, legitimate or otherwise, are easy to view and delete in my inbox rather than having to call in using the conventional Public Mobile voicemail.

Otherwise, here's a few example destinations... dial:

*67*0000000000# - results in a immediate disconnect/error to the caller

*67*3063370005# - "At the customers request, the number you have dialed is equipped for outgoing calls only."

*67*4162996099# - "The number you are calling cannot receive incoming calls."

*67*2264447726# - Lenny

Undo with ##67#

Some other interesting/fun numbers to send calls to here:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwardi...

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jackl1 

Don't be concerned... it happens to all of us.  It's easy with VoIP these days to call from anywhere in the world and yet- fake that you have a legitimate number on CallerID.  Sometimes, I never get calls... some days I'll get 3 calls in a day.  I just ignore them.  🙂

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@jackl1 wrote:

I'm been receiving calls from others countries (Niger, Kenya, Madagascar, etc) that ring once and hang up.

Ignore them. Or what I do is answer the call and leave phone on the table until they hang up.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@jackl1 wrote:

Should I be concerned?

Not really. I guess most (all) phone users (land line/cell) get those spam calls from time to time. Some get it daily - if you are lucky 😋

Nothing you can do.

- You can block local spoofed number but that could be legitimate number

- You can answer the phone and have a chat with other party. Maybe you will become best friends, you never know.

- You can reject or not answer the phone. Problem with that is call might go to your voice mail which will take your time to access it, listen and delete.

Just one of the perks of living in 21st century, I guess.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@jackl1 wrote:

Should I be concerned?

Is it possible to block calls from a list of countries or only accept calls from specific countries?

@jackl1 

Public Mobile cannot block calls on your behalf, whether they are spam or spoofing calls.

The only way is to block the number from a device level.

But spoofing callers can really use any number they wish, since they can 'trick' the system in changing the number it looks like it is coming from.

Best to not answer these calls at all if you know what they are. Some people do not answer calls if they don't recognize the number. If you feel you want to do that as well.

The calls should really stop eventually the more you ignore them.

I know it is a big pain, but most landline and/or cell owners probably have gone through this at one point or the other.

Good luck!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@jackl1 

Rule 1: don't answer calls you don't know

Now, you can ask "Lenny" for help (thanks to @Nezgar )

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

but honest, spam calls, like spam emails, are hard to get rid of in life... we need to learn to co-exist with them and make peace.. LoL

Need Help? Let's chat.