cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to port out before porting back in as a new customer?

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Has anyone done this recently? I'm wondering if I can port out and back in same day, or next day to take advantage of new customer offers.

18 REPLIES 18

@sheytoon 

someone tried this, you need at least a day before coming back in for the system to update.  (The person had problem porting back  on the same day, likely backend system not sync'ed yet and thought PM still has the number)

Personally, I would wait 72 hours just in case.  since you already know the trick about postpaid providers will refund you the unuse portion, I would say no big deal to wait 72 hours

GadgetGuy1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I reached out to a CS Agent to ask if I could switch to one of the new activations plans ($21/mo) from my current $15/mo + 250MB 3g data. I asked nicely, mentioned how long I've been a customer, noted that Public Mobile is changing my account significantly: my rewards program (to public points) and has removed the older $15/mo plan with 250MB data - ... and it made no difference. The agent insisted the new activations plans were only for new activations and if it doesn't show in my portal as a switch option then I can't have it.

Tinop
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why don't they just let switch to any plan. Such games they play...Seems that Public mobile is feeling the heat from the competition. ..Noname mobile and pc mobile runs on Bell and has good deals. 

Thank you, I'll have a look when the time comes.

@sheytoon wrote:

@LitlLdy how do you remove a phone number from eversafe? I don't think I've done that before.

@sheytoon , I have to go in my profile and look again exactly where.

Deregister your phone number from your EverSafe ID with these steps:

1. Log in to the Community
  2. Go to 'My Settings'
  3. Select 'Personal' then 'Account Information'
  4. Select 'Manage EverSafe ID'
  5. Click on Phone Number (I can’t remember after that due to I removed mine)

Edit: Sorry it took so long. I had to sign in again & look! 🤣

@LitlLdy how do you remove a phone number from eversafe? I don't think I've done that before.

@sheytoon wrote:

I still don't understand what you mean. Postpaid providers will refund any unused days. You can literally go to Fido and port out immediately and they will refund 29/30 days.

@sheytoon , I agree with this due to I was with Fido for a short time not long ago. I was only charged for the days that I used their service. There was no activation fee due to I signed up online not in a store.

If you are going to do this, if you haven’t already… remove your phone number from EverSafe so that the # isn’t linked to EverSafe which has caused issues for some when trying to port back into PM.

I am not sure if you will need to use a different email address to sign back up to PM or if you can just sign into this same community account your using now & then select a new plan making a new My Account & good to go. Can you please post back after doing this to let me know how it went?

@sheytoon 

Yes, you are correct on postpaid plans.

I still don't understand what you mean. Postpaid providers will refund any unused days. You can literally go to Fido and port out immediately and they will refund 29/30 days.

@sheytoon 

Yes, I meant porting to another carrier but there could a minimum of one month and activation fee.

Same carrier might give you a minimum grace period if you are not happy with them…worth asking…then it will be do able.

@BKNS27 What do you mean? Porting out by definition has to be to another provider.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon 

Unfortunately, you can’t port out/in of PM.

You will need to port out to another carrier but you may have to pay for activation fee then you can port back.

Already tried that, no luck

@sheytoon wrote:

I'm all ears @Chalupa_Batman 

If you are looking to get that "New Customers Only" plan, simply reach out to a CS Agent and ask nicely to switch. Even though it says new customers only, they have set a presentence over and over and over again for ignoring those rules. Please come back and let us know if it worked. If it doesn't work, then you can sign up for the plan getting a temporary number but porting out the number you want to another service. Might as well use the other service since your paying for it for the 30 days and then towards the end, log into your new account and port your old number back.

To Submit a ticket, please click the following link to access the Public Mobile Chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type: Customer Service Agent

Chalupa_Batman_0-1714179881607.png

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: I am not a Public Mobile employee. I am a customer just like you. Please do not send me a private message with your personal information. 

I'm all ears @Chalupa_Batman 

I would port out close to the end of the renewal cycle. No issue losing 1 day of credit. Port to a postpaid provider like Fido, which will refund you any unused portion that you've paid for.

Anyway, the question isn't about the money. Would it work?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I have a feeling @sheytoon you're looking at getting the $19/month with a 90-day subscription for new customers only plan? If so, there maybe an easier way of doing it. Let me know and I'll explain how.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Nice trick question...

Porting out cancels your account. To port out you have to have paid another provider. Then port in you have to pay again.

Porting might not work right of the bat... It is a risky business to do this flip-flop.

Need Help? Let's chat.