cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for the sim to activate?

NixXavior
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Got the account set up, the plan picked, Credit card set upand has been charged.  The public mobile sim card says the network is unavalible, and my old sim card still works... Is there some sort of delay to the transfer of the number from your previous cell provider to the public mobile?

14 REPLIES 14

LilianeS

Have you tried turning your phone off and then back on again?   My phone was showing no service until I did that.   Then it took a couple more minutes and I was on the public mobile network (  my phone number was ported from Chattr)

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey  @Thecrimson1919,

Thanks very much for your help, indeed that´s the first troubleshooting step to try. That was great. 

Hopefully it works for @NixXavior

Cheers! 

Roxana 

Public Mobile Moderator Team

Thecrimson1919
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CS_Agent wrote:

Hello @Thecrimson1919

We recognize the importance of resolving your concern about having this set up completed.

In order to assist you easier, please send a private message to the Community moderators using the link below:

Private Message

We hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Roxana

Hi Mod,

I am not the original poster. I was advising him how I resolved my issue last nigth. Just a phone reboot.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello @Thecrimson1919

We recognize the importance of resolving your concern about having this set up completed.

In order to assist you easier, please send a private message to the Community moderators using the link below:

Private Message

We hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Roxana

Thecrimson1919
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@sandpublic wrote:

Try restarting your phone with the PM SIM card inserted.

@NixXavior I had the same problem last night and I thought my phone was still locked since it never asked for a lock code but all I had to do was reboot my phone and make sure it was an auto detect for the network.

I guess I did not need to unlock my phone because it was Telus...when I talked to Telus they had no idea if I needed the code for PM. 

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Try restarting your phone with the PM SIM card inserted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NixXavior wrote:

Got the account set up, the plan picked, Credit card set upand has been charged.  The public mobile sim card says the network is unavalible, and my old sim card still works... Is there some sort of delay to the transfer of the number from your previous cell provider to the public mobile?

Yeah I vote still locked. It being a Samsung, they have a method of providing an unlock code. I wish all manufacturers did that.

Also maybe doing a network reset or manually scanning for Public Mobile. Maybe the phone is set to the previous provider and not on auto.

@NixXavior wrote:

The phone is a Galaxy S7, and I checked to make sure it was compatible before hand.  I have successfully logged into my account, and am able to see all my stuff in there, and as mentioned before, my CC has been charged.

Ok. Porting number or not, service should work, just no incoming.  Check and make sure you aren't set to 2g network.  They probably need to do account refresh.

@NixXavior wrote:

The phone is a Galaxy S7, and I checked to make sure it was compatible before hand.  I have successfully logged into my account, and am able to see all my stuff in there, and as mentioned before, my CC has been charged.

So who was your previous cell provider ? Phone might be locked to them...you'll need to contact them to request a free unlock code or you can buy one on-line. Good  luck.

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When I did it a week ago, I was able to use both sim cards. The public mobile one however could only call and text out, data work instantly. Only after the porting process, calling in and text in was working. 

NixXavior

Cell isn't locked to the previous provider

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@NixXavior wrote:

This could be compatibility or phone set to 2g.  What phone do you have?  Account might not have activated properly.

NixXavior

So do I leave my old sim card in until it stops working then switch to the new public mobile one?

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NixXavior wrote:

@NixXavior  Sim is activated almost instantly. If you are referring to the porting process, that can take hours -> days.

What provider are you coming from and Is your phone unlocked?

Keep the old sim card in, and use that until it stops working. If it has been more than 48 hours and the old sim is still working contact the moderator team to resubmit the port.

Click this to message them.

Need Help? Let's chat.