cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can I wait after ordering before I activate SIM?

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Have convinced a friend to move (from Koodo) to PM for the $34/50GB Canada+US plan, but they don't have a SIM. They can either buy one from Amazon.ca for $5, or they can wait for me to mail them one. I don't think they're in a rush to use the new plan, so they may be happy to wait for me to send them one (as long as they're not actually paying for both lines).

I read in a thread (that I can't find now) that if they order today or tomorrow, and pay the $34+tax, the clock doesn't start running until they activate a SIM on the account. Is that right? And if that's right, is there a time limit after which it activates anyway (at least one of the major US prepaid carriers activates after 45 days if you haven't done sooner).

The reason I ask, is if they only have a short time (including immediate) before the clock starts running, at $1/day ($34/30 days) they'll save money ordering from Amazon. If they can wait a week or 2 or 3, they'll probably get me to mail or hand over one when we meet.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

ottawa

Agreed that was worth it. $0 vs $5 vs $10 is really about how fast you need the service, and how much you'll save by cancelling existing service (by way of porting out) sooner.

Neil11
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I went to Mobileklinic and was able to get a physical sim card. Came to $11.30 total. CS agent then helped me activate it. 

ottawa

Thank you everyone. One reply for all...

I had read horror stories of PM SIM shipments taking weeks, thus my thinking I'd give them one. Amazon is next-day with Prime for $5 right now (ASIN B06X9ZGDWG if that's helpful). From me it's $1 for the stamp and they can give me the SIM when it shows up. Depending how soon they'd be able to use US roaming feature (and how much they're paying now*), it might or might not be worth $5 vs $1 vs $0. 🙂

Seems they're still thinking about it, because they use Koodo's Easy Roam feature internationally. They may switch one to PM and keep one on Koodo.

[*For example, another friend is on $55/mo Fido prepaid (!). For them the $5 Amazon route would be a no-brainer to get the SIM if they're near the end of a billing cycle on Fido]

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa   Sims ordered from PM with a new activation are currently free, but another option if they don't mind paying is to get one from a corporate Telus/Koodo store if they have one nearby with stock.  Quickest of course (barring glitches!) is an esim but I can well understand if they don't want that (or they don't have a compatible phone).

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If YOU mail them they might get it in a 2-3 days. If they order from Amazon it could be weeks. Depending where you guys live fastest will be to pass SIM to your friend personally. Of course, consider transportation cost vs. regular mail stamp.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @ottawa they don't have to wait for you to send them sim card.  Physical sim card is free now with activation. They can activate now, choose the ship sim option and pay now. Once pay, the account is created with the promo plan (so, all set with the promo).  Once they receive the sim, they login with the PM app to complete the activation and cycle starts that day

So, it is a win-win

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ottawa 

gogle MobileKilink to see if there's one near you...they have the PM sims for sale there.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @ottawa 

Yes, if they sign up for the plan tomorrow they are good. It will be locked in. So when they order the SIM card from Public Mobile, it can take up to 3 weeks to get it. The plan actually starts on the day they register the card.

Also note, if your friend is porting over from Koodo, they will need to contact a CS Agent via this link to port.

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

Enter the words...  Porting Koodo Number and follow the prompts.

Need Help? Let's chat.