cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know when porting has failed?

mddyo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I am porting my current number over from my old provider. I was on a plan through work, so they pre-authorized the port with the old provider this morning, knowing I would be switching it tonight. I told PM to port it over, gave the IMEI (I don't have the account number because it was a work thing), and now on my Samsung I can see a primary SIM (physical, old provider) and secondary SIM (eSIM, PM).

I haven't switched which SIM is primary yet because they warn against deactivating the old SIM too early. But I never got an authorization text (I am assuming because of the pre-auth) and I haven't received a text from PM saying it is complete. I have been receiving other texts as normal, no disruption of service I can see. It has been about 3 hours.

Is there a point where I should be concerned that the pre-auth didn't work and the port has failed because no one responded to the authorization text within 90 minutes? I assume it would go to the account manager at my employer rather than me if they did send one out after all, but I don't know.

Also, when asked for the IMEI, my phone had two listed under settings. One just said IMEI, the other said eSIM IMEI. I guessed and gave the eSIM one, was that wrong? Could that be my problem?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Once you call them,  double check that you see the PM esim in your settings and turn it on or make it primary.  Probably will need to reboot. 

The calls that you made, is it showing from Public Mobile or previous carrier?

mddyo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I tried to find info about which IMEI to use and couldn't so I just guessed, good to know I used the wrong one 😅.  I have been able to make a call and send a text using the new eSIM but can't seem to receive texts. No clue what's happening at this point, but probably should just start over.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@mddyo hi,

I think that the port probably failed by now.  I think IMEI should also work, but a lot of people usually receive an error using it so we always recommend using the account number instead. NEVER ESIM IMEI.

The text should have been received with minutes up to max of 1 hour and a half. Once it's done, usually wait at least another hour to switch over the SIMS.

I will send you another message with a phone number to call to request the port again.

Need Help? Let's chat.