cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know US Roaming will work?

CUrby
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In March 2022 we took a trip to the USA.  I bought 250Mb of US data thinking this would be lots for our few days down there.  I don't typically use very much.  I was on a 1G plan and it was usually fine for the month.   Within about an hour of crossing the border, I got a message that my data was almost gone.  I turned off everything that uses data and bought more, turning on only what I needed when I needed it.  It typically didn't work very well when I tried.  

I just got a 5G phone and a 5G speed plan and we are going to the US again.  I want to make sure it will work so we can use UBER ect when we get there.  Is there anything I need to check?.  How do I know it will work this time?

I'm currently on a 3 month plan or I would get the US-Canada plan.  But would prefer to just get an add-on.

2 REPLIES 2

AllT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Switch your phone to 4G as 5G might not be reliable. And have data roaming on and you should be good to go.  I have not had any problems with it in the US. If it doesn’t connect automatically switch to manual and connect to AT&T if you have any issues try restarting your phone 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @CUrby 

your last trip earlier showed the data was working already

if you worry it does not work well, try both AT&T and T-Mobile network.  

Getting Canada-US plan is good and cheaper if you need lots of data, if you need more than 3GB.   But yes, if you want to conserve data, disable background data , disable those unnecessary update

Need Help? Let's chat.