cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!

FTT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I manage this plan for my child but she has been charging add-ons without my permission.  I just realized this on my credit card bill.

How can Public Mobile stop sending her offers for additional data during the month?  This account is her cel phone but I am the owner of the account.  I told her to block Public Mobile from sending her messages but she can easily turn that back on.

31 REPLIES 31

HI @BrownBear 

you didn't miss anything, those were not really offers 🙂

those were just promotion text about particular plan PM is focusing on.  Not like targeted offers.  In fact, it created more chaos than anything, people replied YES by mistake and plan got changed.

BrownBear

I have 5 plans and have NEVER had an offer!! I guess I am missing them???

Any ways to have a phone the child must learn to be responsible for their actions. Perhaps a paper route or daily chores (god forgive!!).

@Yummy- I guess I forgot a smiley at the end. 🙂

@dust2dust wrote:

Teach the kid a lesson rather than workarounds and avoidance tactics.

VERY good point.

LEARN to live properly. Not to always look for workarounds.
Next thing will be: Aha, no cops, go trough red signal/stop sign. Aha, no security camera - get that stuff for free. Aha, unlocked car on parking lot - get a free ride... Etc.

@dust2dust wrote:

Parents these days have to have 24/7 surveillance of their kids. However did we survive out of childhood pre-cellphone?

HOW? Cell phone signals fries young, unformed brain...

No cell phone - a lot of brain; cell phone - not so much.

Parents these days have to have 24/7 surveillance of their kids. However did we survive out of childhood pre-cellphone?

Me to it was my first suggestion . Using this as a teachable moment .easy enough to take phone away 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I still like hairbag1's ideas. Teach the kid a lesson rather than workarounds and avoidance tactics. I'm also not certain that texting stop to 611 is the right shortcode to send to. If you can find the offers in her text history (if she kept it without destroying the evidence) then you should see which shortcode it came from and reply to that one.

@FTT  and make sure she has no access to login My Account

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@FTT wrote:

Yes I did change my PIN.  I also sent a private message to Stop the texts.

@FTT , please let Us know the outcome & what CS_Agent says. We gave you all the suggestions we could think of to help. I know it must be frustrating & disappointing. 😞 

FTT

Yes I did change my PIN.  I also sent a private message to Stop the texts.

FTT

I sent them a message to stop the text messages.  How long will it take for them to do this?

@FTT wrote:

So by typing STOP on her phone, she will  not receive ANY text messages or offers?

@FTT 

yes, but this is to stop those promo text

if you think she bought Add-ons, then she has your 4 digits account pin somehow.  So, you need to login My Account to change account pin as I advised earlier

FTT

So by typing STOP on her phone, she will  not receive ANY text messages or offers?

@FTT wrote:

Hello, are you saying i can ask PM to stop sending text messages with offers?  If so, I still do  not know how to contact them directly.  Where do I send them a Private Message exactly?  I have not found this.

@FTT 

you don't have to message them ,

just reply STOP to one of those promo text, or send STOP to 611

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@FTT  Here’s how 

private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

FTT

Hello, are you saying i can ask PM to stop sending text messages with offers?  If so, I still do  not know how to contact them directly.  Where do I send them a Private Message exactly?  I have not found this.

Log in to the account and trace back all the payment history. Maybe post the screenshots here and we can see what she has done. Add-on or plan change. Then we'd know. I think it is that the plan got changed. Not sure how often those texts have been sent out though.

PM would not possibly know who the user of the account is. Minor or not.

@LitlLdy 

precisely. And when the brat child runs outta data prematurely...the parent reply could be "oh well, what are YOU going to do now ?" Paper route ? Cut lawns ? Pick weeds ? Sell lemonade ?

@FTT wrote:

Does anyone have any solutions?  I know PM wants to make money, but she is not the account holder that makes decisions.  Is there any way for them not to send her any offers?  Who else can I ask

@FTT 

i was suggesting that above:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Help/m-p/1015185/highlight/true#M707802

and add to it, text STOP to *611 to stop those promotion text

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@FTT  Get support to have stop being sent 

message support directly

while your already here and logged in the community you can send a private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

and change PIN number and password 

FTT

Does anyone have any solutions?  I know PM wants to make money, but she is not the account holder that makes decisions.  Is there any way for them not to send her any offers?  Who else can I ask

@hairbag1 wrote:

@FTT 

if the young'n is old enough to have a cell phone, perhaps he/she/they should be responsible for their own payment. Get a prepaid Visa card for them to manage the account as they can afford...their self. Log in to that account and change Payment Method to the new Visa debit card.

@hairbag1 , I agree. Also, leaving the card with $0 balance & only loading the funds on it to pay for the plan when it is due. That way nothing else can be paid for due to there’s no more money on the card!

Edit: @FTT , just a suggestion 🙂

@FTT 

for addon data , it is NOT via text message.  It is via *611 and 4 digits pin required or login My Account

The text you are talking about is to change plan.  Sometimes, not often, PM send text to promo new plan and they just need to reply YES to schedule a plan change.  You can stop those text by replying STOP.  

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@FTT  No she simply just have to reply YES 

FTT

When  she receives a text message from PM, do they require a PIN number to add-on data?  If so, that would mean that she has found my PIN number somehow

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@FTT 

if the young'n is old enough to have a cell phone, perhaps he/she/they should be responsible for their own payment. Get a prepaid Visa card for them to manage the account as they can afford...their self. Log in to that account and change Payment Method to the new Visa debit card.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@FTT  Might be cheaper for you to just switch it to the 20GB $39 plan . Should  not chew thru that much data . Something to consider 

FTT

Hello, she does not have access to my account.  She is getting text messages from PM to add data during the month once her data has run out.  Any solutions?  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@FTT 

Make sure she has no access to My Account login and no access to the 4 digits account pin.  Without that, she cannot buy addon hersellf

To change the 4 digits account pin, login My Account and go to Profile page

https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/reset/pinhttps://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/reset/pin

Need Help? Let's chat.