cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with calls (breaking up, dropping, going roboty)

Cerval
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello

I transfered to public mobile a few months ago but I am having issues with my calls breaking up or my voice goes roboty when I talk to someone on a cellphone (not a landline). I also had calls drop at times. My phone is only a few months old and is a OnePlus 12. It's just odd that it works fine with calls with landlines.

I have read lots of help posts here and on the internet, but nothing seems to fix it. I'd really prefer to not have to go back to my old provider but I do need reliable service. I am hoping someone here might know the fix. I have messaged public mobile for help but no reply yet.

Things I have tried

Rebooting phone

Switching calls to 4g or less and 3 g or less (that was worse)

Manually setting my network as public mobile 4g rather than letting it auto detect

Making calls with data turned on

Looking through the phone options to try to find the issues.

Please let me know if you know something that might help so I don't have to change phone companies again.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Cerval

Little update in case it helps anyone. I talked to someone in support and the issue seems to be that there is a tower near me, but my phones instead log into a tower 2 km away because the close one is on the wring side of my building. Apparently it's fairly line of sight for ability to access it. So that's why my call quality is so poor and drops. Also apparently the towers in my city are overtaxed and struggle to keep up with demand in general as our population grows.

Options:

I could buy a signal booster for my place

I could turn on wifi calls, but that doesn't seem to work and isn't a service public mobile has (I just get a Telus message about an unexpected error)

Change providers again to one that gives me good signal at home.

Cerval

With the galaxy 24 ultra I would sound roboty and then they couldn't hear me at all, but I could hear them perfectly. All the microphone diagnostics said they were working well and had no issues using the mic in VoIP calls. A factory reset did not help for that one. 

For the OnePlus 12 I go roboty and can't be understood, but they still hear that I'm talking.  I can hear them getting garbled as well at my end. It's more that one person who is having troubles hearing me so shouldn't be a sister l speaker issue. Doesn't happen on calls to landlines. When I tried 3g only it seemed worse. Which is the opposite of what should happen... 

Thank you!

hi @Cerval when you said it didn't work, you meant just the voice breaking up but the phone actually connected?? you tried using headsets to confirm not the speaker issue?? and try changing the network mode to 3G only, not sure if your problem from VoLTE

Cerval

Hi everybody. Thank you for answering. It's still not working properly but I thought I'd add new things I've tried in case it helps anyone think of the solution

They did refresh my service but it did not help

Turned off background noise cancellation (might be worse will while I do things)

Turned off ok google 

Have tried changing to 3g or less and rebooting and same for 4g

Reset my network connections

What is it odd though is that it hasn't worked properly in a brand new Samsung galaxy 24 ultra or a brand new one plus 12. I did check before purchasing and both phones should work with public and I see people posting that it works well. But back to back issues in two new 2024 phones is sus.

Tried my sim card in galaxy 20 and so far no issues.

Will borrow someone else's card to put in my phone to try that next. Any other ideas?

Thank you for your time!

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to public mobile!

But it sounds like you did pretty much everything  already. We personally have not had these issues that you've described, however, I do know that it's common based on previous complaints. Other option would be checked if you have an update pending. Finally, the last thing I could suggest but I don't know if you want to do. That is factory reset.. which would wipe everything from phone. 

But wait until they reply to see what they advise.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Cerval 

That has always been a problem with Public Mobile. You just need to create a ticket and ask them to reset your network.

To Submit a ticket, please click the following link to access the Public Mobile Chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type: Customer Service Agent

Chalupa_Batman_0-1712609662804.png

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Cerval  I’ve been with PM since 2018 . My phone account has voLTE and I still get this . To me it’s normal and I’ve put up with it for the fact we used to have low cost plans . Some will say this is not normal but I’ve grown used to it for 5+ years . Don’t think there’s much you can do 

Need Help? Let's chat.