cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help re: Grandfathered on the 90 day LTE plan

Js44
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I am a long time PM member that has been grandfathered on the 90 day plan with LTE data. Previously,  I received 6 gigs of data per 90 days plus a bonus 3 gigs which served me well.   However recently the data has dropped to only 3 gigs for the entire 3 months with no option to add extra LTE data. So, effectively I’m paying $120 for 90 days but only receiving 1 gig of data per month - which is both inconvenient and costly as I have been running out of data after the first month and have to buy costly add ons. 
I have been a loyal supporter of PM for years and have no desire to switch providers but this could be the tipping point.   
Does anyone know if there’s a work around or way to bump the LTE data to 6-9 gigs for the 90 day period?  Or, has the time come to start shopping other service providers?  
Any insight appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

@Js44 

I'm with @Anonymous on this one....could you post a screenshot of your plan details? Do you have one that showed your previous details as well? While @Korth  is correct yhat pm is under no obligation to have grandfathered your plan they have and do not unilaterally change customer's plans and certainly not without some kind of notice.

To have your plan data halved and your data bonus disappear is unheard of....assuming it was unlimited in promotional length. Did it used to appear on your overview's right hand side under "my promotions" like below? Further investigation by the CSA's to find out why these changes have occurred in your account  will be needed but it would be good if we can help you figure out what happened before contacting them so you can get it restored and/or compensated appropriately for loss of promised plan features and bonuses.

Screenshot_20210816-164900~2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Js44 

much better to change new plan with more GB data for same price you pay...

you can choose at your next plan renewal date.

and Click Here link  to you know how to Change Your Plan online,

for Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

yes, the grandfather plans are no longer attractive.  The current PM plans have more data for the same amount or even less. 

Giving up LTE might sound tough but honest, with the current 3GB /month usage, I would assume OP is not a heavy users and hence going back to capped speed would not be too to bad.     If LTE is a much, there is far better plan for $40/months from other providers these days.  Even Koodo and Telus have some good $40 plans.  Long weekend is coming, they usually have some Long weekend deals.

@Js44 

PM's record of "grandfathering" legacy plans has become a tradition and an expectation.

But it is not an obligation. Their "contractual" agreement expires when the (pre-paid) billing cycle expires and they are not required to renew it (again) next time around. Plus they can change their Terms of Service at any time - you've already "agreed" to that condition, and indeed you've already "agreed" to whatever new Terms and conditions they might impose.

You wouldn't notice until your new plan details become different from your old plan details. Although it would be courteous of PM to somehow find a way to inform you of impending changes beforehand, lol.

$120-9GB-90-days isn't such a great deal anymore. You could buy three $40-4.5GB-30-days plans ($38-5GB-30-days with AutoPay) to get more. You could pay even less or get even more - you could choose the three $33-3GB-30-day plans (with AutoPay) instead and/or you might be able to claim something equivalent to the +2GB promos they keep running these days. (These are typically for "new customers only" but it wouldn't hurt to ask the PM agents if you might get something in return for the inconvenience of having your loyal grandfathered plan suddenly cut short.)

Whatever choice you make, it seems cheaper to change your plan than to keep buying data add-ons. Of course, once you change away from a legacy plan which is no longer offered then you can't ever change back to it ... but that seems to be a non-issue if they're no longer providing what you they originally offered anyhow.

The only thing you'd really lose is "LTE Speed". I don't personally think that it's worth much - it burns through a monthly handful of GB far too quickly and "3G Speed" is adequate anyhow - but many people do think it's important enough to be worth paying the premium. Sadly, PM doesn't offer LTE options anymore, if it's something you really want or really need then you'll have to go elsewhere. (I have Optik at home, but for mobile I subscribe to the cheapest PM plans plus $20 for 5Mbps 60GB with Xplornet, you may or may not have similar "wireless internet" providers in your area.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Js44 : Maybe post a screenshot of the page after clicking Plan Details. Blank out personal details of course. Not sure what 3gb you're referring to. Were those the gift add-ons? If so they were only one-time...not recurring.

The new plans are now a throttled LTE but for mobile browsing most people find it fine. You can also change your phone to use the available HSPA (3G) data and get better speed but apparently more latency.

Those add-ons will come in to your account at full LTE as well.

Keep in mind that if you were to change plans then you would not be able to go back.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Js44 Isn't it a little weird that PM dropped the data from 9 GB to 3 GB per 90 days? I'd be a little skeptical. Did you change plans? When did you notice the change? Loosing the 6 GB's is out of place, I would contact a CSAgent to look into your account and hopefully resolve it. If it doesn't provide a satisfactory resolution, I would contact the CCTS.

@JK8 wrote:

@Js44 

If your plan data is only 3 GB and you need to add 6 - 9 more GB to your plan the only way as you suggested is to purchase add ons if LTE is important. Have you looked at the current plans where there are more data but at a reduced speed? As you mentioned, going with another provider may be the least expensive option if data speed is important to you.

That is true about add-ons and that the LTE speed would be kept, but that would be very expensive.  

@Js44 

You're going to need to decide if the LTE data speed or if having more data is more important.  If you need decide that you need both, I sadly suspect that you're going to be switching to a a different brand.  Perhaps, Telus Mobility or Koodo Mobile can help with providing a plan that matches your needs?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Js44 

If your plan data is only 3 GB and you need to add 6 - 9 more GB to your plan the only way as you suggested is to purchase add ons if LTE is important. Have you looked at the current plans where there are more data but at a reduced speed? As you mentioned, going with another provider may be the least expensive option if data speed is important to you.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Js44 , if you are willing to lose access to full speed LTE data, you can switch to the $40/5GB plan which has 30 day renewal.

Need Help? Let's chat.