cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on US Roaming Plan for 4-day trip

PMLoyalty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Visiting the United States for 4 days where I estimate needing "only" 2GB data, some talk & texting. Primarily just for emergency peace of mind so I can accept calls and do light internet connectivity through my apps (Uber, Lyft, Disneyland, Google Maps).

I'm on the old $15 plan that included 250MB data with 8GB accumulated non-expiring Add-Ons.

Would it be most appropriate to simply purchase Add-On i.e. $30 Unlimited US Talk, Text and 3GB Data Bundle?

OR

Temporarily switch to $34 5G promotional plan? But I probably lose the Add-On if I switch back to $15 no data plan after the trip?

5 REPLIES 5

Brianna182
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm talking about if they switch from the $15 plan to the $34 plan they'll lose the special add on they have with the $15 plan

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think you will lose any add-ons by switching. The $34 plan is better value than paying $15 and then another $30 on top. The only thing to think about is if you want to keep the 250mb which would be gone if you switched back, although with 8GB in add-ons you may not need it anytime soon.

@PMLoyalty wrote:

Visiting the United States for 4 days where I estimate needing "only" 2GB data, some talk & texting. Primarily just for emergency peace of mind so I can accept calls and do light internet connectivity through my apps (Uber, Lyft, Disneyland, Google Maps).

I'm on the old $15 plan that included 250MB data with 8GB accumulated non-expiring Add-Ons.

Would it be most appropriate to simply purchase Add-On i.e. $30 Unlimited US Talk, Text and 3GB Data Bundle?

OR

Temporarily switch to $34 5G promotional plan? But I probably lose the Add-On if I switch back to $15 no data plan after the trip?

I wouldn't know your usage patterns when it comes to data, but my thinking is this:  If you would normally use about 3GB during a 15 day (or 4 day) period, I would consider switching plans.  For someone using data on a regular basis, the $15 plan (current or previous version) just aren't competitive.  Either way, you won't be able to get your $15 plan back if you did that.  It is no longer available.

@Brianna182 wrote:

If the add on is no longer available you won't be able to switch back to it, so I would keep the $15 plan and purchase the $30 add on. Alternatively you could just use an esim from a different carrier while you're in the states. I personally would just pay the $30 to make it easy.

For an add-on, no switching is being done.  Add-ons maintain the same base plan.

Brianna182
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If the add on is no longer available you won't be able to switch back to it, so I would keep the $15 plan and purchase the $30 add on. Alternatively you could just use an esim from a different carrier while you're in the states. I personally would just pay the $30 to make it easy.

Need Help? Let's chat.