cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got 3 text messages at 2:26am, what happened?

G6
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I was surprised i didn't get replies yesterday, got 3 text messages at once from 3 different people. I am curious when they were sent (not replying yet as people may still be sleeping/getting ready for work) and is this going to keep happening?

11 REPLIES 11

og2

You also can't rule out that DND wasn't the cause of it. Try putting your phone on silent instead

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@G6 wrote:

I was surprised i didn't get replies yesterday, got 3 text messages at once from 3 different people. I am curious when they were sent (not replying yet as people may still be sleeping/getting ready for work) and is this going to keep happening?

Hello @G6 ,

It is difficult to nail down exactly what happened if this only occurred this one time. It is strange yes.

Perhaps do a Reset of your Network Settings on your device and it will reset things (apps, cache data, etc.).

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@G6  Try setting network to 3G and ”forcing" change of your SMS settings may solve the issue.  

1. Go to Settings
  2. Then go to Mobile networks and select a network other than Public Mobile, Telus, or Koodo
  3. When you exit the menu the phone should lose the network.
  4. Repeat the process and select Public Mobile as your mobile network.

This procedure will force the update of the message centre number. You can verify it in your message settings.

SMS delays:

https://help.nexmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/204014893-What-Causes-a-Delay-in-Delivering-SMS-Messages-

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If you and your friends use whatsapp it might be a more reliable way to message. I recall. Several threads of delayed sms lately, happened to me a couple months ago (was not receiving sms at all)

@G6 wrote:

That is not realistic, message a mod every time someone takes too long to reply.

Yes, I agree it takes time, that's why I suggest only to check with mod if it happens again.

I checked Telus status page, there is no outage in Ontario but they didn't show historical event.  Looks like no other is complaining about the issue.  Telus uses Bell towers but I searched around and dont' see much outage report regarding mobility service.

G6

@softech wrote:

hard to find out after the fact.  

there is no outage in Ontario at the moment.

Maybe monitor for another day.  If it happens again, then open ticket with mod..

That is not realistic, message a mod every time someone takes too long to reply.

hard to find out after the fact.  

there is no outage in Ontario at the moment.

Maybe monitor for another day.  If it happens again, then open ticket with mod..

G6

@darlicious wrote:

@G6 

Oh got it....hmm maybe there was an outage that delayed messaging?

Perhaps, any way to find out?

@G6 

Oh got it....hmm maybe there was an outage that delayed messaging?

G6

@darlicious wrote:

@G6 

Three private messages? I have all notifications turned off so if I 'm not online I 'm not disturbed. Are they westcoasters or eastcoasters? Or just spammers?

Standard text messages using Google Messeges, the standard texting app.

The phone was on do not disturb while i slept but i expected replies yesterday while awake and well before DND and was surprised to not get any (everyone must have prematurely ended the conversations as far as i knew).

Friends and family, all in province (Ontario), two at home.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@G6 

Three private messages? I have all notifications turned off so if I 'm not online I 'm not disturbed. Are they westcoasters or eastcoasters? Or just spammers?

Need Help? Let's chat.